Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Edward John Trelawny; Percy Bysshe Shelley; George Gordon Byron Byron, Baron|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Edward John Trelawny
|Description:||xxiv, 308 p. ; 21 cm.|
|Contents:||Trelawny visits Ouchy, 1820 --
Forms the acquaintance of a German bookseller at Lausanne --
Who shows him Shelley's Queen Mab --
Breakfasts at Lausanne with Captain Roberts --
Converses with Wordsworth, and his wife and sister --
Wordsworth sets no value on Shelley's poetry --
Afterwards admired him --
Trelawny goes to Geneva --
Meets Williams and Medwin --
Medwin speaks admiringly of Shelley --
Trelawny and the Williamses go to Chalon-sur-Saone --
Trelawny proceeds to Paris --
The Williamses go to Pisa, and know the Shelleys --
Two letters (April and December 1821) from Williams to Trelawny, speaking of Shelley, Byron, andc. --
Trelawny returns from Paris to Geneva, Autumn 1821 --
Goes with Roberts to Genoa --
Proceeds to Pisa --
Visits the Williamses, beginning of 1822 --
Is introduced to Shelley --
Shelley's youthful appearance --
He translates orally portions of Calderon's El magico prodigioso --
Introduces Trelawny to Mrs. Shelley --
Shelley introduces Trelawny to Byron --
Byron's demeanor and chit-chat --
His acuteness in conversing with Shelley --
His person and attire --
Byron, Shelley, and Trelawny, take horse, and engage in pistol-practice --
Byron converses about his literary position with Shelley --
Trelawny, Shelley, and Mrs. Shelley, discuss Byron, his character and dramas --
Byron speaks of his own diet, and Shelley's, and of Medwin's notes of his conversation --
Byron's early travels --
His daily routine, and manner in society --
Banters Trelawny on his not corresponding with a preconceived ideal.
|Series Title:||New York Review Books classics.|
|Responsibility:||Edward John Trelawny ; introduction by Anne Barton.|
- Trelawny, Edward John, -- 1792-1881 -- Friends and associates.
- Shelley, Percy Bysshe, -- 1792-1822 -- Last years.
- Byron, George Gordon Byron, -- Baron, -- 1788-1824 -- Last years.
- Greece -- History -- War of Independence, 1821-1829 -- Biography.
- Adventure and adventurers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Poets, English -- 19th century -- Biography.
- British -- Italy -- History -- 19th century.
- Poets, English -- Homes and haunts -- Italy.
- Italy -- Intellectual life -- 1789-1900.