Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Benjamin M Cardozo; Edward Terry Sanford; Pierce Butler|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Marshman S Wattson; Gerhard Dietrichson; John Henry Gray; Arthur LeSueur; John Franklin McGee; Knute Nelson; William August Schaper; Henrik Shipstead; Stanley Isaac Rypins
|Notes:||Related materials: A small collection of Pierce Butler Papers, and a larger collection of the papers of his son, Pierce Butler II, are separately cataloged in the Minnesota Historical Society manuscript collections.|
|Description:||0.25 cu. ft. (1 box).|
A typed (394 pp.) transcript (marked "confidential") of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on the matter of the appointment of Pierce Butler to the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition to direct testimony are transcribed correspondence, telegrams, newspaper clippings, and related documents presented at the committee hearings. The numbered transcript pages are supplemented with some photocopied biographical information on Butler. The more significant elements are complaints brought by four University of Minnesota professors dismissed during Butler's tenure as regent, and several individuals and radical political organizations opposing Butler's nationalist and industrialist sympathies.
- Cardozo, Benjamin M. -- (Benjamin Nathan), -- 1870-1938.
- Sanford, Edward Terry, -- 1865-1930.
- Butler, Pierce, -- 1866-1939 -- Public opinion.
- Committee of 48 (U.S.).
- Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Manufacturing Company -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- University of Minnesota -- Faculty -- Discipline.
- University of Minnesota. -- Board of Regents.
- Working People's Political League (Saint Paul, Minn.).
- Minnesota. -- Commission of Public Safety.
- United States. -- Congress. -- Senate. -- Committee on the Judiciary.
- United States. -- Supreme Court -- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment.
- Academic freedom -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Catholics -- Minnesota -- Public opinion.
- German Americans -- Minnesota -- Public opinion.
- Irish Americans -- Minnesota -- Public opinion.
- College teachers -- Minnesota -- Dismissal of.
- Labor disputes -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Patriotism -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- Strikes and lockouts -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Public opinion.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1919-1933.