|提及的人：||George, King of Great Britain; George, roi de Grande-Bretagne; George, King of Great Britain|
|注意：||Previously published as: King George VI.|
|描述：||xiv, 506 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|其他題名：||King George VI|
On Friday, December 11, 1936, King Edward VIII abdicated the British throne to marry Wallis Simpson. The abdication came at a crucial time in history, with Hitler and Mussolini allied, and Europe moving toward war. Suddenly Edward's younger brother, Albert, had to assume the throne. At forty-one, the new King faced not only a difficult family crisis, but a skeptical British press and public as well. Though he was sometimes a reluctant monarch, George VI possessed the self-discipline and integrity that his brother lacked. He would reign until his death in 1952, leaving to his eldest daughter, Elizabeth II, a throne more stable than England had known since Victoria ruled. This book is the first truly intimate portrait of the man and his entire family. The author has penetrated the closed circle that surrounds the royal family through archival research in the United States and Britain, the discovery of unpublished diaries and private letters, and extensive interviews. The abdication crisis, the King's leadership during the war, his relationship with Churchill, the unfolding saga of the two brothers, and much more are examined in detail by this biography.
- George -- VI, -- King of Great Britain, -- 1895-1952.
- Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952.
- George -- VI, -- roi de Grande-Bretagne, -- 1895-1952.
- Rois et souverains -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 1936-1952 (George VI)
- George -- VI, -- King of Great Britain, -- 1895-1952
- Kings and rulers.
- Great Britain.
- George VI, King of Great Britain
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952
- Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography