Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Conference papers and proceedings
|Named Person:||Mai Richie Reed|
|Material Type:||Conference publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Richard D Quartaroli; Grand Canyon Historical Society.
|Notes:||"We should have a History Symposium to celebrate what we have. We must take time to recognize those who have made contributions to this place, and this History Symposium is the perfect setting. Our written and oral history of this special place must be carried on--a tradition that truly enriches the lives of each one of us, and all those who experience the Grand Canyon in person or in the books they read. I hope that each of us takes away a new appreciation of this true wonder"--Page 1.|
|Description:||iv, 303 pages : illustrations, maps, portraits ; 28 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction / by Richard D. Quartaroli --
Welcome / by [Grand Canyon National Park] Superintendent Dave Uberuaga --
1. Sights and Sounds: Fox Movietone Visits Grand Canyon, June 1929 / by Jennifer L. Jenkins, Ph. D. --
2. Ethnobotany of the Hualapai Tribe / by Carrie Cannon and Jennifer Lipton --
3. Otis "Dock" Marston: Dean of Colorado River Historians and Fastwater Boatmen / by Richard D. Quartaroli --
4. Facing Your Danger: The History of the Cataract Boat / by Roy Webb --
5. The Biggest Water Ever Run / by Dave Mortenson --
6. The Gem: Grand Canyon's First Dory / by Tom Martin --
7. Audacity, Logistics, and Skill: The 1960 Jet Boat Trip in the Grand Canyon / by Philip M. Smith and Buzz Belknap --
8. 2012 Centennial of the Hermit Road: 100 Years of History / by Jonathan Upchurch, Ph. D. --
9. Exploring the John Hance Inner-Canyon Toll Road / by Doug Nering --
10. Down the Gorge with Uncle George: Hiking the Length of Grand Canyon / by Tom Myers --
11. Life Among the Havasupai, 1945-1962: The Photographs of Robert H. Kuhne / by Mona McCroskey --
12. The Other Spectacle: Navajo Weavers at Grand Canyon National Park / by Jenifer McLerran --
13. No Fries 'Til Mail: how Tourism Brought Mail Service to the Grand Canyon / by Marjory J. Sente --
14. The Blue-Eyed Indian / by John S. Azar --
15. Ghost Rock / by Frank M. Barrios --
16. The Making of In the House of Stone and Light / by J. Donald Hughes, Ph. D. --
17. Geologists through Time in the Grand Canyon: From Newberry to a New Century / by Wayne Ranney --
18. Pioneer Trails "to" Grand Canyon / by Dick Brown --
19. Thoughts on the Origin and Age of the Mysterious MONTEVIDEO Inscription and the Route the 16th Century Spanish Explorers May Have Used to Descend into Grand Canyon / by Ray Kenny, Ph. D., PG --
20. The MONTE VIDEO Inscription: Why It Is Likelly from the Bass Tourist Era / by Jonathan Upchurch, Ph. D. --
21. What They Were Searching for: The Wetherhills and Their Explorations of the Colorado Plateau / by Harvey Leake --
22. In the Steps of My Fathers / by Robert M. Lauzon --
23. The Trails of an Early Canyon Kid / by Barbara Stephens Odderstol --
24. Peggy Verkamp: A Canyon Life Well-Lived / by Susan Verkamp --
25. Getting History Right: The Ives Expedition of 1857-1858 / by Jerry Snow --
26 Baron von Egloffstein and the First Published Images of Grand Canyon / by David Miller --
27. The Walcott Journal: Deciphering the Grand Canyon Expedition of 1882-1883 / by Dennis Foster --
28. Harvey Girls at the Grand Canyon / by Pam Knight Stevenson --
29. Business Women Tourists at the Grand Canyon / by Janolyn G. LoVecchio --
30. Phantom Ranch: A Junction and a Crucible / by Rovert W. Audretsch --
31. Picking up the Pieces: Park Service Management of the Grand Canyon Disaster Crash Sites, 1956-2006 / by Benjamin T. Carver --
32. The 1956 Grand Canyon Aviation Accident: Impacts on the Local Community and Recent Site Management / by Ian Hough --
33. Falling into the Canyon: The 1944 Airmen's Surprise Visit to the Grand Canyon / by Roy Webb --
34. Glen Canyon Dam: Construction 1963 and Reconstruction 1983 / by Gary Ladd --
35. Nicholas Roosevelt's 1913 Travels on the Colorado Plateau / by Waldo M. Wedel --
36. "Follow the Trail over Ledge and Shale": The Grand Canyon Poems and Photographs of Mai Richie Reed / by Erik Berg --
37. Zane Grey on the North Rim / by Alan Pratt, Ph. D. --
38. Gunnar Widforss: The Artist and the Myths / by Alan Petersen --
39. Natural Quiet Resource Mismanagement (overflights noise) at Grand Canyon National Park: The Reagan Torpedo, 1986-1987 / by Dickson J. Hingson, Ph. D. --
40. The View from the Top: How Stephen Mather and the National Park Service Took Over Management of the Grand Canyon / by Cathryn S. Dippo --
41. Vignettes of America at the Grand Canyon / by Thomas Patin --
Appendix A: Symposium Participants; Sponsors, Supporters, and Call for Feedback --
Appendix B: Schedule --
Appendix C: Contributors --
Appendix D: URS Citations --
|Other Titles:||Proceedings of the third Grand Canyon History Symposium, January 2012|
|Responsibility:||compiled and edited by Richard D. Quartaroli ; designed by Hazel Clark ; indexed by Earle E. Spamer.|
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.) -- History -- Congresses.
- Grand Canyon National Park (Ariz.) -- History -- Congresses.
- Explorers -- Arizona -- Congresses.
- Boaters (Persons) -- Arizona -- Congresses.
- Geologists -- Arizona -- Congresses.
- Hermits Rest -- Grand Canyon National Park (Ariz.)
- Reed, Mai Richie, -- 1886-1970
- Boaters (Persons)
- Arizona -- Grand Canyon.
- Arizona -- Grand Canyon National Park.