Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Herbert Lawrence Ganter; Matthew Boulton; Erasmus Darwin; Jackson Davis; Thomas Day; Richard Lovell Edgeworth; Thomas Dunn English; Joseph Farrell; Francis Fauquier; Benjamin Franklin; Antonio Gavin; William H Gravely; Thomas Jefferson; John M Jennings; Hugh Jones; Jones family.; James Keir; Grace Warren Landrum; Benjamin Rush; William Small; Small family.; John Augustine Smith; E G Swem; Earl G Swem; David Trail; Robert Trail; Robert Trail; William Trail; John Tyler; Lionel Wafer; James Watt; William Withering|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Herbert Lawrence Ganter
|Notes:||In the collections of the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va. (Mss1 G1584 b).
Chiefly transcriptions of materials in other repositories.
Also included are biographical notes on Small's contemporaries and others, including English physician and natural philisopher Erasmus Darwin; British author and abolitionist Thomas Day; Anglican priest Gabriel d'Emiliane; Anglo-Irish politician, writer and inventor Richard Lovell Edgeworth; tobacco merchant Joseph Farrell; Governor of Virginia Francis Fauquier; College of William and Mary faculty member Hugh Jones and family; Scottish chemist and inventor James Keir; Pennsylvania physician, author and educator Benjamin Rush; physician and tenth president of the College of William and Mary John Augustine Smith; Scottish Presbyterian ministers William, Robert (1687-1762), Robert (1719-1798), David (d. 1850?), and William (b. 1712) Trail; Virginia planter, judge, and governor, William and Mary alumnus, and tenth President of the United States John Tyler; Welsh explorer and privateer Lionel Wafer; and English scientist and physician William Withering (folders 35-50).
Also included are materials related to general subjects including education, England (also Birmingham), inventions, the Lunar Society, philosophy, pirates, the first partition of Poland, porcelain, steam engines, and the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (folders 51-68); and general research notes, including lists of unanswered questions and miscellaneous transcriptions (folders 69-73).
Also included are personal papers, 1933-1948, relating to Herbert Ganter's education, employment history, scattered accounts, and correspondence. Correspondents include, in part, William H. Gravely, Jr., concerning the academic world and research on Thomas Dunn English; John Melville Jennings of the William and Mary Library concerning Dean of Women Grace Warren Landrum and her research on Hugh Jones; and Earl Gregg Swem concerning the death of Jackson Davis (1947), the index to the Virginia Gazette, and books he wanted Ganter to review for the William and Mary Quarterly. One other interesting component of Swem's correspondence was World War II: draft classifications; Ganter's and E.G. Swem's son Earl's drafts and service in the U.S. Army; gas rationing; and John Jennings' choice of employment at the U.S. Navy Mine Depot (Yorktown, Va.) in lieu of active service in the U.S. Army. The correspondence ends with Ganter's acceptance of a position as college archivist at William and Mary, a position he held until retirement in 1974 (folders 74-77).
- Ganter, Herbert Lawrence, -- 1904-1980.
- Boulton, Matthew, -- 1728-1809.
- Darwin, Erasmus, -- 1731-1802.
- Davis, Jackson, -- 1882-1947 -- Death and burial.
- Day, Thomas, -- 1748-1789.
- Edgeworth, Richard Lovell, -- 1744-1817.
- English, Thomas Dunn, -- 1819-1902.
- Farrell, Joseph, -- 1726?-
- Fauquier, Francis, -- 1704?-1768.
- Franklin, Benjamin, -- 1706-1790.
- Gavin, Antonio, -- active 1726.
- Gravely, William H.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826.
- Jennings, John M. -- (John Melville), -- 1918-2004.
- Jones, Hugh, -- 1669-1760.
- Jones family.
- Keir, James, -- 1735-1820.
- Landrum, Grace Warren, -- 1876-1951.
- Rush, Benjamin, -- 1746-1813.
- Small, William, -- 1734-1775.
- Small family.
- Smith, John Augustine, -- 1782-1865.
- Swem, E. G. -- (Earl Gregg), -- 1870-1965.
- Swem, Earl G., -- 1910-
- Trail, David, -- -approximately 1850?
- Trail, Robert, -- 1687-1762.
- Trail, Robert, -- 1719-1798.
- Trail, William, -- 1712-1756.
- Tyler, John, -- 1790-1862.
- Wafer, Lionel, -- 1660?-1705?
- Watt, James, -- 1736-1819.
- Withering, William, -- 1741-1799.
- University of Aberdeen -- Students -- History -- 18th century.
- College of William and Mary -- History.
- College of William and Mary -- Faculty -- History.
- Lunar Society of Birmingham (England)
- Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Great Britain)
- U.S. Navy Mine Depot (Yorktown, Va.)
- Draft -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Inventions -- History.
- Pirates -- History.
- Presbyterian Church -- Clergy -- History.
- Science -- History.
- Scientific apparatus and instruments.
- Medicine -- History -- 18th century.
- Steam engineering -- History.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Economic aspects -- Virginia.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Virginia -- Rationing, Consumer.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Virginia.
- Birmingham (England) -- History.
- Poland -- History -- Partition period, 1763-1796.
- Scotland -- History.