Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Paul R Krugman
|ISBN:||9780393071016 0393071014 9780393337808 0393337804|
|Notes:||"With a new epilogue"-- Cover.
|Description:||207 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||"The central problem has been solved" --
Warning ignored : Latin America's crises --
Japan's trap --
Asia's crash --
Policy perversity --
Masters of the universe --
Greenspan's bubbles --
Banking in the shadows --
The sum of all fears --
The return of depression economics.
In 1999, in The Return of Depression Economics, Paul Krugman surveyed the economic crises that had swept across Asia and Latin America, and pointed out that those crises were a warning for all of us: like diseases that have become resistant to antibiotics, the economic maladies that caused the Great Depression were making a comeback. In the years that followed, as Wall Street boomed and financial wheeler-dealers made vast profits, the international crises of the 1990s faded from memory. But now depression economics has come to America: when the great housing bubble of the mid-2000s burst, the U.S. financial system proved as vulnerable as those of developing countries caught up in earlier crises and a replay of the 1930s seems all too possible. In this new, greatly updated edition of The Return of Depression Economics, Krugman shows how the failure of regulation to keep pace with an increasingly out-of-control financial system set the United States, and the world as a whole, up for the greatest financial crisis since the 1930s. He also lays out the steps that must be taken to contain the crisis, and turn around a world economy sliding into a deep recession. Brilliantly crafted in Krugman's trademark style--lucid, lively, and supremely informed--this new edition of The Return of Depression Economics will become an instant cornerstone of the debate over how to respond to the crisis.-- Description from http://www.booktopia.com.au (Nov.2, 2011).
- Global Financial Crisis, 2008-2009.
- Recessions -- History -- 21st century.
- Business cycles -- History -- 21st century.
- Financial crises -- History -- 21st century.
- Depressions -- 1929.
- Depressão econômica -- 1929.
- Crise econômica.
- Ciclos econômicos (história) -- Século 21.
- Crise financeira (história) -- Século 21.
- Recessions -- History.
- Business cycles -- History.
- Financial crises -- History.
- Great Depression, 1929-1939.
- Business cycles.
- Financial crises.
- Business cycles -- History -- 21st century
- Depressions -- 1929
- Financial crises -- History -- 21st century
- Recessions -- History -- 21st century
User lists with this item (18)
- To Read: General non-fiction(37 items)
by tjcarroll updated about 2 days ago
- Things to Check Out(1 items)
by katherine.hutter updated about 3 weeks ago
- Economic Crisis(56 items)
by whisner updated 2014-06-27
- Network Society(39 items)
by jcomas updated 2014-06-11
- Wannabe Economist(54 items)
by mewoods updated 2014-05-13