Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Richard Newton and English caricature in the 1790s.
Manchester, U.K. ; New York : Whitworth Art Gallery, University of Manchester in association with Manchester University Press, c1998
|Named Person:||Richard Newton; Richard Newton; Richard Newton; Richard Newton|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
David Alexander; Whitworth Art Gallery.
|ISBN:||0719054796 9780719054792 071905480X 9780719054808|
|Notes:||Published to coincide with an exhibition held at the Whitworth Art Gallery, Feb. 14-May 17, 1998.|
|Description:||x, 178 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||Foreword / Diana Donald --
1. Newton's watercolour of a caricature exhibition --
2. The development of the satirical print in England --
3. Newton's early years --
4. The rise of William Holland --
5. Newton's first years with Holland --
6. Newton during Holland's imprisonment, 1793-4 --
7. The mainstay of Holland's business, 1794-6 --
8. Newton as an independent publisher, 1797-8 --
9. Newton's posthumous reputation --
App. Chronological checklist of prints by and after Newton --
App. Index of titles in checklist.
Most of his prints were published by William Holland, a man of literary tastes who wrote the clever dialogues on many of the prints; some of Newton's most fascinating prints are those of Holland and fellow prisoners in Newgate where Holland was imprisoned for his radical activities in 1793-4. The book contains a checklist of three hundred single sheet prints by Newton; sixty are illustrated in colour, together with four of his watercolours.
- Newton, Richard, -- 1777-1798.
- Cartoonists -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
- Newton, Richard, -- 1777-1798 -- Catalogs.
- Newton, Richard, -- (1777-1798)
- Caricatures et dessins humoristiques -- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 18e siècle.