Zoeken naar een in de bibliotheek beschikbaar exemplaar
Bibliotheken met dit item worden gezocht…
|Genoemd persoon:||Charles Anderson; Newton Arvin; Jacques Barzun; Saul Bellow; Eric Bentley; R P Blackmur; Robert Gorham Davis; F W Dupee; Leslie A Fiedler; Elizabeth Hardwick; Richard Hofstadter; Irving Howe; Thomas Herbert Johnson; Alfred Kazin; Louis Kronenberger; Robert Lowell; Mary McCarthy; Dwight Macdonald; Norman Mailer; Margaret Marshall; Ronald Mason; Charles Olson; Norman Podhoretz; Philip Rahv; John Crowe Ransom; David Riesman; Arthur M Schlesinger; Allen Tate; Lionel Trilling; Mark Van Doren; Peter Viereck; Robert Penn Warren|
|Alle auteurs / medewerkers:||
Richard Volney Chase
|Taalopmerking:||Material is in English.|
|Beschrijving:||37 linear ft. ( 13 boxes & 250 volumes)|
The letters are chiefly from his colleagues at Columbia University, other literary critics, a few publishers and, single letters from several American authors. There is a series of lengthy letters from Chase to his wife, Frances Marie Walker Chase, dated 1938 and 1949-1961; letters from his colleagues and friends to Mrs Chase, 1962-1967, mostly letters of condolence on Chase's death, and a few related to his publications. The manuscripts and proofs of his writings include typescripts on Herman Melville and Walt Whitman. Also included are notes on American and Englisgh literature, course materials for his Columbia courses, articles and reviews by him, articles, reprints and reviews by others, most of which are inscribed to Chase, and three dozen volumes of his own works, including foreign translations. In addition, there are 250 volumes from Chase's library, many with his annotations and marginalia. 1984 ADDITION: Letters from friends dealing with the contemporary literary world between 1948-1955. The main body of material is from Robert Willard Flint, a sometime poet and critic, who was a graduate student at Columbia in 1946 and later worked at the Harvard Library. 1986 ADDITION: Letters to Richard Chase from colleagues in the literary world, 1948-1971, with 2 letters to his wife after his death. 114 of these letters are from Robert Flint, 25 from Lionel Trilling, and 3 letters from Robert Penn Warren.
- Anderson, Charles.
- Arvin, Newton, -- 1900-1963.
- Barzun, Jacques, -- 1907-
- Bellow, Saul.
- Bentley, Eric, -- 1916-
- Blackmur, R. P. -- (Richard P.), -- 1904-1965.
- Davis, Robert Gorham.
- Dupee, F. W. -- (Frederick Wilcox), -- 1904-
- Fiedler, Leslie A.
- Hardwick, Elizabeth.
- Hofstadter, Richard, -- 1916-1970.
- Howe, Irving.
- Johnson, Thomas Herbert.
- Kazin, Alfred, -- 1915-1998.
- Kronenberger, Louis, -- 1904-1980.
- Lowell, Robert, -- 1917-1977.
- McCarthy, Mary, -- 1912-1989.
- Macdonald, Dwight.
- Mailer, Norman.
- Marshall, Margaret.
- Mason, Ronald, -- 1912-
- Olson, Charles, -- 1910-1970.
- Podhoretz, Norman.
- Rahv, Philip, -- 1908-1973.
- Ransom, John Crowe, -- 1888-1974.
- Riesman, David, -- 1909-2002.
- Schlesinger, Arthur M. -- (Arthur Meier), -- 1917-2007.
- Tate, Allen, -- 1899-1979.
- Trilling, Lionel, -- 1905-1975.
- Van Doren, Mark, -- 1894-1972.
- Viereck, Peter, -- 1916-2006.
- Warren, Robert Penn, -- 1905-1989.
- Columbia University.
- English literature.
- American literature.