Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Moll Cutpurse; Thomas Middleton; Thomas Middleton; Thomas Dekker; Moll Cutpurse; Thomas Dekker; Thomas Middleton; Thomas Middleton|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Thomas Middleton; Thomas Dekker; Jennifer Panek
|Description:||xviii, 321 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||The text of The roaring girl --
Women in men's clothing : fads and controversies --
The life of Mary Faith : records and documents --
Moll Cutpurse in the popular imagination --
Later representations of Moll Cutpurse --
|Series Title:||Norton critical edition.|
|Responsibility:||Thomas Middleton and Thomas Dekker ; edited by Jennifer Panek.|
The text of The Roaring Girl is based on the text from English Renaissance Drama: A Norton Anthology It is accompanied by generous explanatory annotations, five illustrations, and a detailed introduction.
Thirteen critical essays chart the development of scholarly interest in The Roaring Girl, from the first half of the twentieth century, when the play received only passing reference, through the work on city comedy in the 1970's and 1980's, to the explosion of analyses through the late 1980's and 1990's when the play became a major focus for early modern gender studies. The more recent critical essays move beyond a strict focus on gender and cross-dressing to explore The Roaring Girl's depiction of other aspects of early modern London, including consumer culture and the contemporary fascination with the language of the criminal underworld. --Book Jacket.
- Cutpurse, Moll, -- 1584?-1659 -- Drama.
- Middleton, Thomas, -- -1627. -- Roaring girl.
- Middleton, Thomas, -- -1627 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Dekker, Thomas, -- approximately 1572-1632 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- English drama -- 17th century -- History and criticism.
- English drama (Comedy) -- History and criticism.
- Gender identity -- Drama.
- Transvestism -- Drama.
- London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 17th century.
- Cutpurse, Moll,
- Dekker, Thomas, -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Middleton, Thomas,
- Middleton, Thomas, -- Criticism and interpretation.
- English drama -- History and criticism. -- 17th century.