도서관에서 사본 찾기
해당항목을 보유하고 있는 도서관을 찾는 중
|추가적인 물리적 형식:||Online version:
Watts, Steven, 1952-
Romance of real life.
Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c1994
|명시된 사람:||Charles Brockden Brown; Charles Brockden Brown|
|모든 저자 / 참여자:||
|설명:||xviii, 246 p. ; 24 cm.|
|내용:||1. The Novel and the Market in the Early Republic --
2. The Lawyer and the Rhapsodist --
3. The Young Artist as Social Visionary --
4. The Major Novels (I): Fiction and Fragmentation --
5. The Major Novels (II): Deception and Disintegration --
6. The Writer as Bourgeois Moralist --
7. The Writer and the Liberal Ego.
|더 많은 정보:|
Offering a revisionist view of Brown himself, Watts examines the major novels of the 1790s as well as previously neglected sources - from early essays and private letters to late-career forays into journalism, political pamphleteering, serial fiction, and cultural criticism. The result is a fuller picture of Brown as a man of letters in post-Revolutionary America, a man who rigorously analyzed the public and private vagaries of individual agency.
His notoriously volatile private life, it turns out, in many ways flowed from a critique of market society and its impulses.
Watts also shows how Brown's experience was central to broader developments: the rise of the novel in America, the development of gender and family formulations, the clash between republican "virtue" and liberal "self-interest," and the origins of a bourgeois creed of self-control. Perhaps most importantly, he explains how Brown helped articulate a notion of "culture" itself as a civilizing force to restrain restless liberal individualism.
The Romance of Real Life shows how a sensitive, prolific writer confronted, wrestled with, and ultimately promoted the emergence of a liberal society in nineteenth-century America.
- Brown, Charles Brockden, -- 1771-1810.
- Authors and readers -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
- National characteristics, American, in literature.
- Novelists, American -- 18th century -- Biography.
- United States -- Civilization -- 1783-1865.
- Authorship -- History -- 18th century.
- Romanticism -- United States.
- English fiction
- United States
- Brown, Charles Brockden.