Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||201 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||1. Rome and Constantinople --
2. Byzantium as Center of Theological Thought in the Christian East --
3. Two Visions of the Church: East and West on the Eve of Modern Times --
4. An Early Medieval Bridge-Builder: Remarks on Eastern Patristic Thought in John Scot Eriugena --
5. Theology in the Thirteenth Century: Methodological Contrasts --
6. Was There an Encounter Between East and West at Florence? --
7. From Byzantium to Russia: Religious and Cultural Legacy --
8. Was There Ever a "Third Rome"? Remarks on the Byzantine Legacy in Russia --
9. New Life in Christ: Salvation in Orthodox Theology --
10. The Christian Gospel and Social Responsibility --
11. Visions of the Church: Russian Theological Thought in Modern Times.
|Responsibility:||by John Meyendorff.|
Father John Meyendorff ([actual symbol not reproducible] 1992), former dean of St Vladimir's Seminary, is one of the pioneers of the modern ecumenical movement. As a historian of the church and patristics scholar, and as a longtime participant in numerous ecumenical encounters, he is uniquely qualified to present this evaluation of the search for unity between East and West over the last millennium. Prepared shortly before his untimely death, this collection of previously published and unpublished materials challenges the churches today to continue their search for authentic unity.
In a time when relations between East and West have suffered numerous setbacks - in the former Soviet Union, in the former Yugoslavia, and elsewhere - Meyendorff calls upon theologians to remain ecumenical in their theology. What is really at stake, he affirms, "is not the preservation of cultural categories shaped in the distant past, but the true 'catholicity' of the Christian message for the world today."
- Orthodox Eastern Church -- Relations -- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church -- Relations -- Orthodox Eastern Church.
- Orthodox Eastern Church -- Doctrines -- History.
- Orthodox Eastern Church -- Byzantine Empire -- History.
- Orthodox Eastern Church -- Russia -- History.
- Catholic Church -- Doctrines -- History.
- Byzantine Empire -- Church history.
- Russia -- Church history.
- Oosterse kerken.
- Eenheid van de Kerk.
- Orthodoxe Kirche.
- Katholische Kirche.
- Catholic Church.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
- Interfaith relations.
- Theology, Doctrinal.
- Byzantine Empire.