Roosevelt and Churchill.
Woodstock, N.Y. : Overlook Press, 2000
|提及的人：||Franklin D Roosevelt; Winston Churchill; Winston Churchill; Franklin D Roosevelt|
David Stafford; Rogers D. Spotswood Collection.
|描述：||xxiv, 359 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
"The author draws on wartime files only recently released as background for his new work - an intriguing look behind the congenial facade of Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill, revealing how each jealously guarded knowledge from the other in pursuit of separate national interests." "Theirs was a unique relationship. It was based on linked national histories and partially shared nationality - Churchill was half-American - similarities in class and education, a special love for the navy, and a common belief in the superiority of Anglo-Saxon institutions. But above all, it was cemented by shared enemies: Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. On these foundations Roosevelt and Churchill constructed a fighting alliance unlike any other in history. Each in his own way had to deal with two other allies of stature - Joseph Stalin and Charles de Gaulle - whose agendas were certainly different again." "Roosevelt and Churchill also developed an extraordinary personal relationship, communicating almost daily by telegram, telephone, meetings, or contact through intermediaries. Their complicated camaraderie - which was always dynamic - ended abruptly with FDR's death on April 12, 1945, just hours before American and British troops liberated Buchenwald and Belsen."--Jacket.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. -- (Franklin Delano), -- 1882-1945 -- Friends and associates.
- Churchill, Winston, -- 1874-1965 -- Friends and associates.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Diplomatic history.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service.
- United States -- Relations -- Great Britain.
- Great Britain -- Relations -- United States.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 1933-1945.
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
- Prime ministers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Churchill, Winston, -- 1874-1965.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. -- (Franklin Delano), -- 1882-1945.
- Diplomatic history.
- Diplomatic relations.
- International relations.
- Prime ministers.
- Secret service.
- Great Britain.
- United States.