Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780062065247 0062065246 9780062213877 0062213873|
|Awards:||National Book Award Winner.|
|Description:||321 pages ; 24 cm|
Lonely among us --
Loud as a whisper --
The naked now --
Angel one --
Hide and Q --
The big good-bye --
Skin of evil --
|Series Title:||Book club kit|
When his mother, a tribal enrollment specialist living on a reservation in North Dakota, slips into an abyss of depression after being brutally attacked, 13-year-old Joe Coutts sets out with his three friends to find the person that destroyed his family. Sunday in the spring of 1988, a woman living on a reservation in North Dakota is attacked. The details of the crime are slow to surface as Geraldine Coutts is traumatized and reluctant to relive or reveal what happened, either to the police or to her husband, Bazil, and son, Joe. Increasingly alone, Joe finds himself thrust prematurely into an adult world for which he is ill prepared. While his father, who is a tribal judge, endeavors to wrest justice from a situation that defies his efforts, Joe becomes frustrated with the official investigation and sets out with his trusted friends, Cappy, Zack, and Angus, to get some answers of his own. Their quest takes them first to the Round House, a sacred space and place of worship for the Ojibwe. And this is only the beginning.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Indian women -- Crimes against -- Fiction.
- Ojibwa Indians -- North Dakota -- Fiction.
- Indian reservations -- Fiction.
- Indian families -- Fiction.
- Life change events -- Fiction.
- FICTION -- General.
- Indian families.
- Indian reservations.
- Indian women -- Crimes against.
- Life change events.
- Ojibwa Indians.
- North Dakota.
- Psychisches Trauma
- North Dakota
- FICTION / General.
- Native American women -- Fiction.
- Victims of crimes -- Fiction.
- Ojibwa Indians -- Fiction.
- Native Americans -- Reservations -- North Dakota -- Fiction.
- Native American families -- Fiction.
- Stress (Psychology) -- Fiction.
- Indians of North America -- North Dakota -- Reservations -- Fiction.
- North Dakota -- Fiction.
- Book group discussion kits.
User lists with this item (41)
- indigenous, Americas(161 items)
by schusterp updated about 5 days ago
- National Book Awards for Fiction and Poetry(69 items)
by Frohringacquisitions updated about a month ago
- National Book Award Winners: Fiction(65 items)
by dordtlibrary updated 2017-02-20
- Alex Awards(112 items)
by dordtlibrary updated 2017-02-14
- New Books ENG(112 items)
by BrookensLibrary updated 2017-02-01