Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Ninette De Valois; Constant Lambert; David Lumsden Webster, Sir; Margot Fonteyn; Frederick Ashton; Rudolf Nureyev; Sol Hurok; Kenneth MacMillan; John Cranko; Peter Wright; Norman Morrice; Anthony Dowell|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Includes an excerpt from John Tooley's In house: Covent Garden, 50 years of opera and ballet. Sir John Tooley was General Director of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, 1970-1988.|
Ashton's appointment as company director, MacMillan's Song of the earth, Antony Tudor's Shadowplay, Nureyev's production of Nutcracker in 1968, Ashton's retirement as director in 1970 and MacMillan's succession, Peter Wright's role in the company, MacMillan's ballets Anastasia and Manon, the Royal Ballet's restricted performing opportunities at Covent Garden and its attempts to perform regularly and for larger audiences, MacMillan's resignation in 1976 and the appointment of Norman Morrice as director, Morrice's encouragement of young choreographers, the financial importance of the Royal Ballet's touring in the United States, Morrice's resignation in 1985 and the appointment of company dancer Anthony Dowell, and commentary on the future of the company.
- Sadler's Wells Ballet.
- Royal Opera House (London, England)
- Covent Garden Theatre.
- De Valois, Ninette, -- 1898-
- Lambert, Constant, -- 1905-1951.
- Webster, David Lumsden, -- Sir, -- 1903-1971.
- Fonteyn, Margot, -- 1919-1991.
- Sleeping beauty (Choreographic work : Ashton and Sergeev, N after Petipa, M)
- Firebird (Choreographic work : Grigoriev and Tchernicheva after Fokin)
- Ashton, Frederick, -- 1904-1988.
- Nureyev, Rudolf, -- 1938-1993.
- Nutcracker (Choreographic work : Nureyev after Vaĭnonen)
- Hurok, Sol, -- 1888-1974.
- Royal Ballet.
- Song of the earth (Choreographic work : MacMillan)
- MacMillan, Kenneth.
- Cranko, John.
- Wright, Peter.
- Morrice, Norman.
- Choreographers -- England.
- Theaters -- England -- London.
- Ballet -- England -- Financial aspects.
- Anastasia (Choreographic work : MacMillan)
- Manon (Choreographic work : MacMillan)
- Dowell, Anthony.
- Shadowplay (Choreographic work : Tudor)