|提及的人：||Rutherford B Hayes; Rutherford Birchard Hayes; Rutherford B Hayes; Rutherford Birchard Hayes|
Hans L Trefousse; Rogers D. Spotswood Collection.
|描述：||xviii, 170 pages : portrait ; 22 cm.|
|内容：||Background and youth --
Civil War --
Congressman and governor --
Disputed election --
Presidency, first two years --
Presidency, last two years --
|丛书名：||American presidents series (Times Books (Firm))|
|责任：||Hans L. Trefousse.|
An American icon and hero faces a nation--and a world--in transition, as seen in this retrospective of the popular president's career. A leader of the Reconstruction era, whose contested election eerily parallels the election debacle of 2000 The disputed election of 1876 between Rutherford B. Hayes and Samuel Tilden, in which Congress set up a special electoral commission, handing the disputed electoral votes to Hayes, brings recent events into sharp focus. Historian Hans L. Trefousse explores Hayes's new relevance and reconsiders what many have seen as the pitfalls of his presidency. While Hayes did officially terminate the Reconstruction, Trefousse points out that this process was already well under way by the start of his term and there was little he could do to stop it. A great intellectual and one of our best-educated presidents, Hayes did much more in the way of healing the nation and elevating the presidency.
- Hayes, Rutherford B., -- 1822-1893.
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1877-1881.
- Hayes, Rutherford Birchard, -- 1822-1893.
- Présidents -- États-Unis -- Biographies.
- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 1865-1877 (Reconstruction)
- États-Unis -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1877-1881.
- Hayes, Rutherford B., -- 1822-1893
- Politics and government
- United States.
- Hayes, Rutherford Birchard.
- USA -- Regierung.
- Geschichte 1820-1900.