Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Saltonstall family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Saltonstall family.; Nathaniel Bowditch; Peter Chardon Brooks; Brooks family.; Cabot family.; Lewis Cass; Rufus Choate; Charles Pelham Curtis; Caleb Cushing; Henry Herbert Edes; Edward Everett; John Gorham; Daniel P King; Lee family.; Levi Lincoln; Merrill family.; Middlecott family.; William Minot; Orne family.; William Prescott; Josiah Quincy; Theodore Roosevelt; Eleanor Saltonstall; Endicott Peabody Saltonstall; Gurdon Saltonstall; Leverett Saltonstall; Mary Elizabeth Sanders Saltonstall; Nathaniel Saltonstall; Richard Saltonstall; Richard M Saltonstall; William Gurdon Saltonstall; Lemuel Shaw; Joseph Story; Varnum family.; Daniel Webster; Robert C Winthrop
|Description:||47 boxes, 22 volumes, 3 cartons of restricted material, and 5 oversize boxes|
The collection includes family correspondence to and from Dr. Nathaniel Saltonstall (1746-1815) of Salem, a 1766 graduate of Harvard College and physician; William Gurdon Saltonstall (1831-1899), acting master of the Commodore Hull, a ship involved in the North Atlantic blocking squadron during the Civil War; Richard M. Saltonstall (1849-1929) an 1880 graduate of Harvard College, businessman and investor; U.S. House of Representative, Salem, Mass. Mayor, Mass. Senator and Representative, and Harvard College 1802 graduate, Leverett Saltonstall (1783-1845); Collector of Customs, lawyer, and 1844 graduate of Harvard College Leverett Saltonstall (1825-1895); U.S. Senator, Mass. Gov., Mass. State Senator, Democrat, and 1914 Harvard Graduate, Leverett Saltonstall (1892-1979); William G. Saltonstall (1905-1989), principal of Phillips Exeter Academy and a sailor in the United States Navy during World War II; and Eleanor "Nora" Saltonstall (1894-1919), a volunteer in a French Army unit during World War I and European and California traveler. Other family members heavily represented in the collection include Gurdon Saltonstall, Endicott Peabody Saltonstall, Anne E. Saltonstall, William Lawrence Saltonstall. Also includes extensive genealogy and estate papers for many Saltonstall family members. Many Saltonstall men were on the Harvard College Board of Overseers. Leverett Saltonstall (1783-1845) collected much of the earlier material and manuscripts of Sir Richard Saltonstall (1610-1694) and Royal Gov. of Connecticut Gurdon Saltonstall (1666-1724).
Additional correspondents include Mary Elizabeth Sanders Saltonstall, Richard Saltonstall, Francis G. Saltonstall, Lewis Cass, William Minot, John Gorham, Peter Chardon Brooks, William Prescott, Charles Pelham Curtis, Lemuel Shaw, Caleb Cushing, Rufus Choate, Nathaniel Bowditch, Joseph Story, Josiah Quincy, Levi Lincoln, Edward Everett, Daniel Webster, Robert Charles Winthrop, Daniel Putnam King, Henry H. Edes, Theodore Roosevelt, and members of the Lee, Brooks, Cabot, Orne, Middlecott, Varnun, and Merrill families.
- Saltonstall family.
- Commodore Hull (Schooner)
- Connecticut. -- Governor (1708-1724 : Saltonstall)
- Harvard College (1636-1780). -- Class of 1766.
- Harvard College (1780- ). -- Class of 1802.
- Harvard College (1780- ). -- Class of 1844.
- Harvard College (1780- ). -- Class of 1880.
- Harvard College (1780- ). -- Class of 1914.
- Harvard University. -- Board of Overseers.
- Harvard University -- Students.
- Massachusetts. -- General Court. -- House of Representatives.
- Massachusetts. -- General Court. -- Senate.
- Phillips Exeter Academy.
- United States. -- Collector of Customs (Boston, Mass.)
- United States. -- Congress. -- House.
- United States. -- Navy -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Decedents' estates -- Massachusetts.
- Democratic Party (Mass.)
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Family history.
- Lawyers -- Massachusetts -- Haverhill.
- Lawyers -- Massachusetts -- Salem.
- Mayors -- Massachusetts -- Salem.
- Physicians -- Massachusetts -- Haverhill.
- Politicians -- Massachusetts.
- Politicians -- United States.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Women -- France.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American.
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Blockades.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations.
- United States -- Politics and government.