Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Gelatin silver prints
|Named Person:||Michael Heizer; Robert Mapplethorpe; Agnes Martin; Patti Smith; Tony Smith; H C Westermann|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Samuel J Wagstaff; Dan Basen; Robert Morris; Gordon Newton
|Description:||96 linear ft. (126 boxes, 5 rolls, 19 flatfiles) 15 film reels ; original.|
Among many snapshots by Wagstaff in Series I are portraits of his long-term partner, Robert Mapplethorpe, and Patti Smith, among others. In Series II, the development of Wagstaff's collections is traced through receipts and other documentation, including letters from cultural institutions, photographers and artists such as Agnes Martin, H.C. Westermann, Michael Heizer and Tony Smith. This series also includes original artworks by Dan Basen, Robert Morris and Gordon Newton. The personal papers in Series III range from family photographs to financial documents. Series IV contains the correspondence that Wagstaff did not file in other series, dating primarily to the 1970s and 1980s. In Series V are photographs and other documents relating to specific exhibitions, publications and research by Wagstaff. Series VI contains posters, exhibition announcements and other ephemera, as well as clippings of articles profiling Wagstaff and his collections. Among the 12 film reels in Series VII are seven unidentified and four undeveloped reels, and one labeled "Potatoes on a Studio Floor."
- Heizer, Michael, -- 1944-
- Mapplethorpe, Robert.
- Martin, Agnes, -- 1912-2004.
- Smith, Patti.
- Smith, Tony, -- 1912-1980.
- Westermann, H.C. -- (Horace Clifford), -- 1922-
- Detroit Institute of Arts.
- Wadsworth Atheneum.
- Art -- Private collections -- United States.
- Art, Modern -- 20th century -- Collectors and collecting -- United States.
- Artists -- Correspondence.
- Photographs -- Collectors and collecting -- United States.
- Silver -- Private collections -- United States.