Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Levine, Susan, 1947-
School lunch politics.
Princeton : Princeton University Press, ©2008
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||1st pbk printing 2010.|
|Description:||1 online resource (x, 250 pages) : illustrations.|
|Contents:||Introduction. The politics of lunch --
1. A diet for Americans. The search for a scientific diet ; A diet for Americans ; Nutrition and malnutrition ; School lunch as public policy --
2. Welfare for farmers and children. School lunches for hungry children ; Eating the surplus ; The institutionalization of school lunch --
3. Nutrition standards and standard diets. School lunch standards ; Nutrition in the national defense ; Eating democracy --
4. A national school lunch program. Agriculture or education? ; The liberal compromise ; Discrimination and segregation --
5. Ideals and realities in the lunchroom. Nutrition and surplus commodities ; Nutrition and the food service industry ; The limits of the lunchroom --
6. No free lunch. Discovering hunger in America ; Agriculture or welfare? ; Food and the poverty line --
7. A right to lunch. The free lunch mandate ; The women's campaign ; School lunch and civil rights ; Eligibility standards and the right to lunch --
8. Let them eat ketchup. Who pays for free lunch? ; Combo meals and nutrition standards ; Ketchup and other vegetables --
Epilogue. Fast food and poor children.
|Series Title:||Politics and society in twentieth-century America.|
"A comprehensive examination of school lunches' complex history from the birth of home economics and food as a nutritional science to the arrival of vending machines in cafeterias."--Eliza Krigman,
- National school lunch program.
- School children -- Food -- United States.
- Children -- Nutrition -- United States.
- EDUCATION -- Counseling -- Crisis Management.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Public Policy -- Social Services & Welfare.
- Children -- Nutrition.
- School children -- Food.
- United States.
- Skolmåltider -- Förenta staterna.