Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Faulkner, Richard Shawn.
School of hard knocks.
College Station : Texas A&M University Press, c2012
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Richard Shawn Faulkner
|Notes:||Originally presented as: Thesis (Ph.D.)--Kansas State University, 2008.|
|Description:||1 online resource (xiii, 392 p.) : ill.|
|Contents:||Combat leadership in the AEF: a tale of Alvin and Charles --
"To be instructed in the dark art and mystery of managing men" --
Small-unit leadership in the Old Army --
"We find ourselves in need of a vast army of officers" --
The stateside selection and training of officers --
"By improvised and uncoordinated means" --
Officer selection and training in 1918 --
"Ninety-day wonders" and "jumped-up sergeants" --
Stateside mobilization and the challenges of small-unit leadership --
"My God! This is Kitchener's army all over again" --
Leader training in the American Expeditionary Forces in France --
"Gone blooey" --
The AEF's systems for addressing officer incompetence and inefficiency --
Noncoms, doughboys and the Sam Brownes --
The relations between the leader and the led in the US Army --
Combat physics and the ugly realities of attritional warfare --
The school of hard knocks --
Combat leadership and the attritional battlefield --
Conclusions: A tale of George and Henry --
Appendix: Organization of AEF infantry rifle companies and platoons.
|Series Title:||C.A. Brannen series, no. 12.|
|Other Titles:||Combat leadership in the American Expeditionary Forces|
|Responsibility:||Richard S. Faulkner.|
."..Shawn Faulkner has made a long overdue and critical addition to the historiography of American combat in World War I...his analysis is so thorough, the ultimate story so depressing for those who
- Command of troops -- History -- 20th century.
- United States. -- Army -- Officers -- Training of.
- United States. -- Army -- Non-commissioned officers -- Training of.
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces -- Unit cohesion.
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces -- Mobilization.
- Military morale -- United States.
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces -- Operational readiness.
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces -- History.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States.
- HISTORY / Military / World War I
- United States. -- Army -- Officers -- Training of -- Non-commissioned officers -- Training of -- Unit cohesion -- Mobilization -- Operational readiness -- History
- United States. -- Army. -- American Expeditionary Forces -- Officers -- Training of -- Non-commissioned officers -- Training of -- Unit cohesion -- Mobilization -- Operational readiness -- History