Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Patrick J McGrath
|Description:||248 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||Science and the crises of the new corporate order --
Scientific politics in the 1930s --
The creation of state science --
Making the case for a managerial democracy --
The battles over scientific militarism in the Cold War state --
The Oppenheimer case, Eisenhower, and the triumph of scientific militarism.
|Series Title:||Luther Hartwell Hodges series on business, society, and the state.|
|Responsibility:||Patrick J. McGrath.|
"McGrath describes how, between 1890 and 1960, scientific, business, and political leaders together forged a new definition of American democracy in which science and technology were presented to the public as crucial ingredients of the nation's progress, prosperity, and political stability. Scientists even argued that the very act of expert collaboration, whether in business or politics, offered a model of ways to solve social problems and achieve political stability.".
"But as scientists became more prominent, they provoked conflicts among themselves as well as with their institutional patrons over exactly how their expertise should be used. McGrath examines the sharp and often bitter battles that erupted over the role scientists should play during the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War arms race, and the security and loyalty investigations of the 1950s. He finds that, by the end of the 1950s, scientists were regarded by the political and military elite not as partners but as subordinate technicians who were expected to supply weapons on demand for the Cold War state."--BOOK JACKET.
- Science and state -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Science and state -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Politique scientifique et technique -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Politique scientifique et technique -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Politieke aspecten.
- Politieke macht.
- Politique scientifique -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- Politique scientifique -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Art et science militaires -- Etats-Unis -- 20e siècle.