Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Dwight D Eisenhower; Dwight D Eisenhower|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Gerard H Clarfield
|Description:||xv, 257 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||1. "The Foundation of Military Strength Is Economic Strength." --
2. "Our Problem Should Be Solved on the Basis of What Is Best for National Security." --
3. "I Was Wrong ... I Cannot Make This Work. No One Can Make It Work." --
4. "A Hydra-headed Monster" --
5. "This Concept Is a Crystalized and Clarified Statement of This Administration's Understanding of Our National Security since World War II." --
6. "If the Administration Decides to Beef Up the Armed Forces along Lines Now Talked Of, the Whole Eisenhower Program Will Take a New Direction, Economic as well as Military." --
7. "The Day that Discipline Disappears from Our Forces ... We Would Be Foolish to Put a Nickel into Them." --
8. "I Tried to Persuade the President That It Would Really Be Better for Me to Take Another Year on This." --
Epilogue: "In Our System Clausewitz Would Probably Make Full Colonel, Retire in 20 Years, and Go to Work for a Think Tank."
?Clarfield's treatment is even-handed....Solidly researched and clearly written...this book can be recommended to all students of the evolution of American defense organization.?-The Journal of
- United States -- Military policy.
- United States. -- Department of Defense -- Appropriations and expenditures.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. -- (Dwight David), -- 1890-1969.
- United States. -- Department of Defense.
- Expenditures, Public.
- Military policy.
- Politics and government
- United States.