Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Pound, Louise, 1872-1958.
[Lincoln] University of Nebraska Press, 1949
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||"Editorial note" signed: Lowry C. Wimberly.|
|Description:||xiv, 365 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||1. Literacy: Whitman and Italian music ; Caedmon's dream song ; On Poe's "The city in the sea" ; Whitman and bird poetry ; Literary anthologies and the ballad ; The future of poetry --
2. Linguistic: On the linguistics of dreams ; Intrusive nasals in present-day English ; The etymology of an English expletive ; Word-coinage and modern trade-names ; On indefinite composits and word-coinage ; Research in American English --
3. On vocabulary and diction: American English today ; The American dialect of Charles Dickens ; American euphemisms for dying, death, and burial ; Whitman and the Fench language ; The dialect of Cooper's leather-stocking ; The pluralization of Latin loan-words in present-day American speech --
4. Folkloristic: The term "communal" ; On the dating of the English and Scottish ballads ; Folklore and dialect ; Nebraska snake lore ; The Nebraska legend of weeping water --
5. Educational: A history fo English literature : what it is and what it is not ; The value of English linguistics to the teacher ; The use and abuse of the contemporary in the teaching of English ; Graduate work for women ; What should be expected of the teacher of English? ; The collage woman and research --
6. Miscellaneous: On the pronunciation of "either" and "neither" ; The kraze for "K" ; Extensions of usage of a pronoun ; Plural-singulars from Latin neuters ; Popular variants of "yes" ; Notes on the vernacular ; American indefinite names ; King Cnuts song and ballad origins ; Lowell's "Breton legend."