Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Francis Frederick|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Francis Frederick; Catherine Lynette Innes
|ISBN:||9780807136836 0807136832 9780807136843 0807136840|
|Description:||xl, 124 pages ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction: Francis Fedric's story : historical and cultural contexts --
Slave life in Virginia and Kentucky --
Appendix: Life and sufferings of Francis Fedric, while in slavery.
|Series Title:||Library of Southern civilization.|
|Responsibility:||edited, with an introduction and notes, by C.L. Innes.|
The first of Fedric's two memoirs, Life and Sufferings of Francis Fedric, While in Slavery: An Escaped Slave after 51 Years in Bondage (1859), offers a brief but vivid and dramatic twelve-page description of his escape. Slave Life in Virginia and Kentucky; or, Fifty Years of Slavery in the Southern States of America (1863) provides a much more detailed account of life as a slave and of plantation culture in the southern states. Together the two works present a mesmerizing and distinct perspective on slavery in the South. Amazingly, these narratives, among the most interesting of the genre, remained out of print for nearly a hundred and fifty years. Collected here for the first time and meticulously edited by C.L. Innes, Slave Life in Virginia and Kentucky: A Narrative by Francis Fedric, Escaped Slave includes a contextual introduction, substantial biographical information on Fedric, and extensive annotations that situate and illuminate his work. Long forgotten and never before published in the United States, Fedric's narratives are certain to take their rightful place alongside the most recognizable accounts in the canon of slave memoirs.
- Frederick, Francis, -- approximately 1805-approximately 1882.
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Biography.
- Slaves -- Kentucky -- Biography.
- Fugitive slaves -- Canada -- Biography.
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
- Slaves -- Kentucky -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
- Plantation life -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Plantation life -- Kentucky -- History -- 19th century.
- African Americans -- Biography.
- African Americans -- England -- Biography -- African Americans.
- Soziale Situation.
User lists with this item (2)
- Thesis(78 items)
by hmodan01 updated 2015-08-20
- African-American History Month: Books in the CGA Library(182 items)
by uscgalibrary updated 2012-05-01