Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Zygmunt J B Plater
|Description:||xvi, 369 pages : illustrations, map ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||God is speaking, by committee --
Of time, a river, and the Tennessee Valley Authority --
At the old fort : the start of a small crusade for a little fish --
Pushing the snail darter onto the endangered species list --
Trial and tribulation in TVA's home court --
An appeal for justice as bulldozers roll --
The snail darter goes to Washington --
Endangered, on the banks of the Potomac --
The snail darter gets its Congressional hearings --
The highest court? --
Another trial and vindication, in the God tribunal --
140 days of a slow-ticking clock, ending in 42 seconds --
A phone call from Air Force One --
A few years later, on the CBS evening news.
|Responsibility:||Zygmunt J. B. Plater.|
"The story of the snail darter and the TVA is the Thermopylae in the history of America's conservation movement, and this book by Zygmunt Plater deserves to be the classic telling of it."-Edward O.
- Environmental policy -- United States.
- Environmental legislation -- United States.
- Endangered species -- Government policy -- United States.
- Rare fishes -- Government policy -- United States.
- Tennessee Valley Authority.
- Tellico Dam (Tenn.)
- United States. -- Endangered Species Act of 1973.
- United States. -- National Environmental Policy Act of 1969.