Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Videodisc (DVD) version:
SNCC 50th Anniversary Conference. Volume19, Depictions of the movement in popular culture.
San Francisco, Calif. : California Newsreel, 2011
|Material Type:||Clipart/images/graphics, Internet resource, Videorecording|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charlie Cobb; Jennifer Lawson Gittens; Danny Lyon; Chuck Neblett; Judy Richardson; Phil Alden Robinson; Maria Varela; Natalie Bullock Brown; Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.). 50th Anniversary Conference; Ascension Productions,; SNCC Legacy Project, Inc,; California Newsreel (Firm)
|Language Note:||This edition in English.|
|Credits:||Executive producer: SNCC Legacy Project, Inc. ; series editor, Joseph Brandon Johnson ; volume editor, Janet Gustafson.|
|Target Audience:||For College; Adult audiences.|
|Description:||1 online resource (1 video file (95 min.)) : sound, color.|
|Contents:||Jennifer Lawson --
Charlie Cobb --
Danny Lyon --
Judy Richardson --
Phil Robinson --
Maria Varela --
|Series Title:||Black studies in video; SNCC legacy video, 19.|
|Other Titles:||Depictions of the movement in popular culture|
|Responsibility:||producer, Natalie Bullock Brown/Ascension Productions.|
Volume 19: Over the years, the popular media has had a troubled relationship with organizations like SNCC. Hollywood film director Phil Alden Robinson maintains that a big challenge to producing freedom movement films for theatrical distribution is the assumption that the films won't sell overseas. The entertainment values that drive the news limit the depiction of day-to-day grassroots organizing to dramatic protests. However, "media" is no longer defined as exclusively Hollywood, network television or mainstream print media. "Young people especially", says photographer Maria Varela, "are not just cultural consumers but culture-makers."
- Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.) -- In motion pictures.
- African Americans in mass media.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights demonstrations -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights workers -- United States -- Biography.
- Mass media -- Political aspects -- United States.
- Youth -- Political activity -- United States.