Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Videodisc (DVD) version:
SNCC 50th Anniversary Conference. Volume 21, The Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party: "a real democratic process.".
San Francisco, Calif. : California Newsreel, 2011
|Material Type:||Clipart/images/graphics, Internet resource, Videorecording|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
MacArthur Cotton; Armand Derfner; Lawrence Guyot; Wesley C Hogan; Michael Thelwell; Natalie Bullock Brown; Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.). 50th Anniversary Conference; Ascension Productions,; SNCC Legacy Project, Inc,; California Newsreel (Firm)
|Language Note:||This edition in English.|
|Credits:||Executive producer: SNCC Legacy Project, Inc. ; series editor, Joseph Brandon Johnson ; volume editor, Janet Gustafson.|
|Performer(s):||Moderator: Lawrence Guyot (Chair MFDP) ; panelists: Michael Thelwell (Director, Washington Office MFDP), Armand Derfner (MFDP attorney), Wesley Hogan (Professor, Virginia State University), MacArthur Cotton (SNCC Field Secretary).|
|Target Audience:||For College; Adult audiences.|
|Description:||1 online resource (1 video file (95 min.)) : sound, color.|
|Contents:||Mike Thelwell --
Lawrence Guyot --
Armand Derfner --
Wesley Hogan --
|Series Title:||Black studies in video; SNCC legacy video, 21.|
|Other Titles:||Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party :|
|Responsibility:||producer, Natalie Bullock Brown/Ascension Productions.|
Volume 21: This session looks at what made SNCC "radical" by focusing on the people who worked with SNCC. The session also addresses the emergence of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party. Although 96 percent of its members were denied the right to vote, the MFDP transformed not only Mississippi politics, but the rules of the national Democratic Party. "It is the greatest example of small-democracy that we have," says Professor Wesley Hogan. Former MFDP Chairman, Lawrence Guyot, gives a detailed presentation of the MFDP and its challenges in 1964 and 1965. MFDP Attorney Armand Derfner describes the Party's continuing impact, focusing on the Voting Rights Act. Former SNCC Field Secretary, MacArthur Cotton, describes the step-by-step process involved in organizing the MFDP.
- Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party -- History.
- Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.)
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Mississippi.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- African Americans -- Political activity -- Southern States.
- African Americans -- Suffrage -- Mississippi.
- African Americans -- Mississippi -- Politics and government.
- Civil rights movements -- Mississippi -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights workers -- United States -- Biography.
- Youth -- Political activity -- United States.
- Mississippi -- Politics and government -- 1951-