Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xv, 332 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||What is soul food? --
West Africa: the culinary source --
From southern to soul --
Fried chicken and the integration of church and plate --
Catfish and other double swimmers --
Chitlins: a love story --
Black-eyed peas: what's luck got to do it? --
How did macaroni and cheese get so black? --
Sometimes I feel like motherless greens --
Candied yams: West African in name, but not in taste --
Cornbread: drop it like it's hot bread! --
Hot sauce: the best medicine ever? --
What's sweet, red, and drunk from a jelly jar? Hint: liquid soul! --
Give me some sugar: the glory of soul food desserts --
Whither soul food?
|Responsibility:||by Adrian Miller.|
[A] fascinating look at the cuisine known as soul food and its close cousin, southern cuisine. . . . Photographs and recipes add to the allure of this well-researched look at the past and future of
- African American cooking -- History.
- Cooking, American -- Southern style.
- African American cooking.
User lists with this item (8)
- January, February and March 2015 New Titles(178 items)
by bevdchar updated 2015-04-01
- African-American History Month - A Nonfiction Book List(130 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2015-02-05
- 2014 New Books@ MJC(165 items)
by mjcref updated 2015-01-12
- soc/anthro december(20 items)
by lvilelle updated 2014-12-03
- Nov 2014 New Books - MJC Library(81 items)
by adlers updated 2014-11-26