Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Handbooks, manuals, etc|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Steve Hoadley; New Zealand Institute of International Affairs.
|Description:||xiii, 258 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Studying the South Pacific. Orientation. Definitions. Sources --
2. Political and economic heritage. Origins and identity. Early outside influences. Colonialism. Self-government. Regional security. Economic heritage. Fish and seabed resources. Minerals, agriculture and forestry. Export earnings. Tourism, remittances and rubbish. Aid and borrowing. Summary of liabilities and assets --
3. Extraregional governments. Australia. New Zealand. United States. France. Japan. Britain. European Community and Canada. Soviet Union, Libya, China, Taiwan. Asian states --
4. Regional organisations. Administrative and political functions. Intraorganisational cleavages. South Pacific Commission. South Pacific Forum. Forum Fisheries Agency. Pacific Forum Line. South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission. South Pacific Regional Environmental Programme. Pacific Islands Development Program. South Pacific Organisations Coordinating Committee. International intergovernmental organisations --
5. Cook Islands and Niue. The establishment of free association. Cook Islands. Relations with New Zealand. Foreign relations. Economic relations. Foreign policy issues. Niue --
6. Fiji. Political evolution. Foreign relations. Economic relations. Post-coup changes. Economic policy issues. Assessment --
7. Kiribati and Tuvalu. Political evolution. Kiribati foreign affairs. Maritime diplomacy. Kiribati economic relations. Tuvalu foreign affairs. Tuvalu economic affairs --
8. Northern Marianas, Guam, American Samoa. Colonialism. Self-government. Northern Mariana Islands. Guam. American Samoa --
9. Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Palau. American free association. Republic of the Marshall Islands. Federated States of Micronesia. Palau --
10. Nauru. Political evolution. Foreign affairs. Economic relations. Current issues --
11. New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna. New Caledonia as a territory of France. New Caledonia as a regional player. New Caledonia or Kanaky? French Polynesia's relations with France. French Polynesia's economic dependency. French Polynesia in the South Pacific. Wallis and Futuna --
12. Papua New Guinea. Political evolution. Foreign policy. Diplomacy. Foreign policy focus. Defence. Economic relations. Economic policy issues --
13. Solomon Islands. Political evolution. Diplomacy. Economic relations. Foreign policy issues --
14. Tonga. Political system. Foreign affairs. Economic relations. Foreign policy issues --
15. Vanuatu. Nationalism and politics. Foreign policy. Diplomacy. Economic relations. Foreign policy issues --
16. Western Samoa. Political heritage. Bilateral relations. Multilateral relations. Economic relations. Foreign policy issues.