Andrew Michael Manis
|ISBN:||0865547858 9780865547858 0865547963 9780865547964|
|描述：||xviii, 219 p. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||Civil religion and the South : the social context --
Images of America before the storm --
Desegregation and southern hopes : images after 1954 --
The South in the civil rights era : conflict of civil faiths --
Culture wars : the southern theater --
Civil religions and the problem of race in the new millennium.
|責任：||Andrew M. Manis.|
"In this book, Andrew Manis shows how two conflicting civil religions emerged in the South during the civil rights movement, each with its own understanding of America's calling and destiny as a nation. Using black and white Baptists in the South as case studies, Manis interprets the civil rights movement as a civil religious conflict between Southerners with opposing understandings of America. Originally published in 1987, this new, expanded edition further argues that the civil rights movement and its opposition, with their conflicting images and hopes for America, foreshadowed the ongoing "culture wars" of recent days."--BOOK JACKET.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Civil religion -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Baptists -- Political activity -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Southern States -- Race relations.
- USA / Südstaaten.