Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Roberts, Madge Thornall, 1929-
Star of destiny.
Denton, Tex. : University of North Texas Press, 
|Named Person:||Sam Houston; Margaret Lea Houston; Sam Houston; Margaret L Houston|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Madge Thornall Roberts
|Description:||xv, 432 p. : ill., ports., facs. ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||I have a strange feeling that someday I shall meet this man --
Last night I gazed long upon our beauteous emblem, the star of destiny --
My mind fixes itself on the bright hour in which we first met and loved --
The gay voice of his wife, mingling tones of her harp and piano, was heard --
She would have graced the household of any man, be he president or prince --
Alas, what has always been my decision when my own happiness or the good of the country was to be sacrificed? --
He has decided [I] must be operated on ... I hope to sit down to it like a soldier --
I am where it is said the world is, and yet I am far from all that constitutes my world on earth --
Last night as I came home ... I saw our "Star" --
I am gratified to see that you are homesick and weary of public life --
If his affection had been equal to mine, could he have left me? --
There is everywhere a void which nothing can fill, but the presence of my darling husband --
Do you know I am more in love with you than I ever was in my life? --
In the still watches of the night, I hear him agonizing in prayer for our distracted country --
I have no spirit to write ... on account of my deep affliction from my dear boy being sent to Mississippi --
When the great sorrow first fell ... I could not see how [to] guide my little flock through the dreary wilderness --
[She was a woman] of character, culture, and staunch devotion ... [who] greatly influenced Sam Houston and the course of Texas history.
|Responsibility:||by Madge Thornall Roberts ; foreword by Randolph B. Campbell.|
- Houston, Sam, -- 1793-1863.
- Houston, Margaret Lea, -- 1819-1867.
- Governors -- Texas -- Biography.
- Governors' spouses -- Texas -- Biography.
- Legislators -- United States -- Biography.
- Legislators' spouses -- United States -- Biography.
- United States. -- Congress. -- Senate -- Biography.
- United States. -- Congress. -- Senate. -- Biography.
- Legislators, Wives -- United States -- Biography.
- Governors' wives -- Texas -- Biography.
- Houston, Sam.
- Houston, Margaret L.
- Governors -- Texas -- Biography
- Governors' spouses -- Texas -- Biography
- Houston, Margaret Lea -- 1819-1867
- Houston, Sam -- 1793-1863
- Legislators -- United States -- Biography
- Legislators' spouses -- United States -- Biography
- United States -- Congress -- Senate -- Biography