Suche nach Bibliotheken, die diesen Titel besitzen ...
Lawrence R Mishel
|ISBN:||9780801451706 0801451701 9780801478550 0801478553|
|Beschreibung:||xiii, 505 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Inhalt:||1. Overview: Policy-driven inequality blocks living-standards growth for low- and middle-income Americans : Economic history and policy as seen from below the top rungs of the wage and income ladder ; The Great Recession: causes and consequences ; Economic 'lost decades': weak growth for most Americans' wages and incomes before and likely after the Great Recession ; Extraordinarily unequal growth before the lost decade: rising inequality blocks income and wage growth from 1979 to 2007 ; Today's private economy: not performing for middle-income Americans ; Today's economy: different outcomes by race and gender ; The struggling state of working America is policy-driven --
2. Income: already a 'lost decade' : The basic contours of American incomes ; The Great Recession and American incomes ; Rising inequality of American incomes ; How much did middle-income living standards actually rise between 1979 and 2007? --
3. Mobility: not offsetting growing inequality : Intragenerational mobility ; Intergenerational mobility ; The impact of race, wealth, and education on mobility ; Income inequality and mobility ; Has the American Dream become more or less attainable over time? --
4. Wages: the top, and very top, outpace the rest : Describing wage trends ; Dimensions of wage inequality ; Productivity and the compensation/productivity gap ; Factors driving wage inequality ; Technology and skill mismatches --
6. Jobs: a function of demand : Job creation is a macroeconomic outcome ; Zero is not the baseline for job growth ; What are today's jobs like? ; Unemployment ; Labor force participation: structural and cyclical changes ; Beyond the unemployment rate: other measures of labor market slack ; Recovering from the Great Recession ; The consequences of job loss and unemployment for workers and their families --
6. Wealth: unrelenting disparities : Net worth ; Assets ; Liabilities ; Wealth of U.S. citizens compared with citizens' wealth in peer countries --
7. Poverty: the Great Recession adds injury to insult : Poverty measurement ; The working poor ; Determinants of low incomes ; Resources for low-income Americans ; International comparisons --
Appendixes : A. CPS income measurement ; B. Wage measurement.
|Verfasserangabe:||Lawrence Mishel [and others].|