Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Nisbet Balfour; Frances Moore Bayard; Samuel Bayard; Charles Cornwallis Cornwallis, Marquis; Nathanael Greene; John Hambleton; Rebecca Moore; Stephen Moore; Thomas William Moore; Jr Charles Pinckney; George Washington|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Including two letters, 4 Sept. 1780, Orangeburg, S.C., to Col. John Hambleton and Thomas William Moore, re Moore's imprisonment and obtaining parole; 2 letters, 17 Dec. 1780 and 15 Mar. 1781, New York, Sam Bayard, to his uncle Stephen Moore, re possible British assistance for his release, regret over his participation on the side of the Colonists, and criticism of Gen. George Washington and other leaders in handling of prisoners of war.
Letter, 13 Jan. 1781, from Gen. Nathanael Greene, to Stephen Moore, re Moore's imprisonment, and request to Lord Cornwallis for a prisoner exchange; letter, 17 May 1781, Charleston, S.C., Col. Nisbet Balfour, to prisoners on board the British prison ship Torbay in Charleston, S.C., re treatment of British and American prisoners of war and identifies fellow prisoners.
Letter, 19 May 1781, British prison ship Torbay, Charleston, S.C., from Stephen Moore, Lt. Col. of N.C. Militia, to John Barnwell, Maj. of S.C. Militia, and 130 other prisoners, to Gen. Nathanael Greene, re menaces in Balfour's letters to them, including draft of a letter to Balfour requesting he forward this letter with a roll of prisoners; and 2 manuscripts, 3 May 1781, Articles of a Cartel for the Exchange and Relief of Prisoners of War taken in the Southern Department.
Also including eighteen letters, 30 Apr. 1763-10 May 1775, New York, from Rebecca Moore and Frances Bayard, to Stephen Moore, Westpoint, N.Y., Quebec, Canada, and London, England, re family news and congratulations on his marriage.
- Balfour, Nisbet, -- 1743-1823 -- Correspondence.
- Bayard, Frances Moore -- Correspondence.
- Bayard, Samuel -- Correspondence.
- Cornwallis, Charles Cornwallis, -- Marquis, -- 1738-1805.
- Greene, Nathanael, -- 1742-1786 -- Correspondence.
- Hambleton, John.
- Moore, Rebecca -- Correspondence.
- Moore, Stephen, -- 1734-1799 -- Correspondence.
- Moore, Thomas William.
- Pinckney, Jr., Charles, -- 1754-1824.
- Washington, George, -- 1732-1799.
- Prisoners of war -- South Carolina -- Charleston.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Prisons and prisoners, British.
- South Carolina -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Prisoners and prisons.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Prisoners and prisons.
- Québec (Québec) -- Social life and customs.
- London (England) -- Social life and customs.
- Westpoint (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs.