Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Jacob Stirewalt; Jerome Paul Stirewalt; Martin Luther Stirewalt; Catherine A Stirewalt; Samuel G Henkel|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Cataloged from inventory.|
The collection includes sermons, journals, legal papers, correspondence, writings, printed materials, and clippings relating primarily to Jacob Stirewalt, his son Jerome Paul, and his grandson, Martin Luther Stirewalt. Topics covered include: the Lutheran Church in Newmarket, Va., South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee; the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary in Columbia, S.C.; the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Chicago; biographical information about a minister from Newmarket, Samuel G. Henkel; and missionary work by the Lutherans in the Midwest, primarily in Indiana and Ohio (1869-1871). Includes material on the Evangelical Lutheran Tennessee Synod, and minutes of the United Evangelical Lutheran Ministers and Delegates in N.C. (1803-1816). Also included are parental letters to Martin Luther and William Jacob Stirewalt while they were attending Lenoir College in Hickory, N.C.
The papers of Catherine A Stirewalt, Martin Luther Stirewalt's daughter, are primarily correspondence written while she was a Lutheran Missionary in China from 1939-1949. This correspondence provides documentation of the Lutheran Church's activities in China prior to and after World War II. Catherine Stirewalt's letters provide a great deal of detail about the daily lives of missionaries in China and some information about the lives of the Chinese people working as instructors or attending the mission school. There is no correspondence from the period of the first two years of World War II when she was interned in the Weihsien concentration camp near Tsingtao, China. Other miscellaneous clippings, photographs, and writings in this series provide further documentation of her experiences in China.
- Stirewalt, Jacob, -- 1805-1869.
- Stirewalt, Jerome Paul, -- 1850-1934.
- Stirewalt, Martin Luther, -- 1882-1961.
- Stirewalt, Catherine A.
- Henkel, Samuel G.
- Evangelical Lutheran Church.
- Evangelical Lutheran Tennessee Synod.
- United Evangelical Lutheran Synod of North Carolina.
- Lutheran Theological Seminary (Chicago, Ill.)
- Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (Columbia, S.C.)
- Lenoir College (Hickory, N.C.) -- Students.
- Clergy -- Southern States -- Correspondence.
- Lutheran Church -- Clergy.
- Lutheran Church -- Sermons.
- Missions -- China.
- Lutheran Church -- China.
- Lutheran Church -- Education.
- Lutheran Church -- Missions -- United States.
- Women missionaries -- China -- Correspondence.
- Newmarket (Va.) -- Church history.
- North Carolina -- Church history.
- South Carolina -- Church history.
- Tennessee -- Church history.