Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Durant, Will, 1885-1981.
Story of civilization.
New York, Simon and Schuster, 1935-
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Will Durant; Ariel Durant; Rouben Mamoulian Collection (Library of Congress)
|Notes:||Vols. 7-11 by Will and Ariel Durant.|
|Description:||11 volumes : illustrations, maps, portraits ; 26 cm|
|Contents:||1. Our Oriental heritage, being a history of civilization in Egypt and the Near East to the death of Alexander, and in India, China and Japan from the beginning to our own day, with an introduction on the nature and foundations of civilization --
2. Life of Greece, being a history of Greek civilization from the beginnings, and of civilization in the Near East from the death of Alexander, to the Roman conquest, with an introduction on the prehistoric culture of Crete --
3. Caesar and Christ, a history of Roman civilization and of Christianity from their beginnings to A.D. 325 --
4. Age of faith, a history of medieval civilization, Christian, Islamic, and Judaic from Constantine to Dante, A.D. 325-1300--
5. Renaissance, a history of civilization in Italy from 1304-1576 A.D. --
6. Reformation, a history of European civilization from Wyclif to Calvin, 1300-1564 --
7. Age of Reason begins, a history of European civilization in the period of Shakespeare, Bacon, Montaigne, Rembrandt, Galileo, and Descartes, 1558-1648 --
8. Age of Louis XIV, a history of European civilization in the period of Pascal, Molière, Cromwell, Milton, Peter the Great, Newton, and Spinoza, 1648-1715 --
9. Age of Voltaire, a history of civilization in Western Europe from 1715-1756, with special emphasis on the conflict between religion and philosophy --
10. Rousseau and revolution, a history of civilization in France, England, and Germany from 1756, and in the remainder of Europe from 1715, to 1789 --
11. Age of Napoleon, a history of European civilization from 1789-1815.