Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780313353765 031335376X 9780313353772 0313353778|
|Description:||xxviii, 333 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm.|
|Contents:||Reader's guide to related documents and sidebars --
Preface: The forgotten war --
1. The early 20th century: patent medicines, the rise and fall of prohibition, the narcotics farms : "The whole vast system of bunco" ; "A big wild man who has cocaine in his body" ; "A hitherto inoffensive Negro" ; "In the course of his professional practice only" ; "The great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far reaching in purpose" ; "No one but a physician" ; "Nobody shot me" ; "I believe this would be a good time for a beer" ; "The sick and afflicted shall be set in the way of strength and hope" --
2. The 1930s through the 1950s: Harry J. Anslinger and the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, Reefer Madness, the Kefauver Committee, the beat generation : "As dangerous as a coiled snake" ; "It has something to do with something that is called marihuana" ; "It is concluded that marihuana is not a drug of addiction, comparable to morphine" ; "They go from Sneaky Pete to pot to horse to banging" ; "They took the needle when the thrill of marijuana was gone" ; "To provide a more effective control of narcotic drugs and marihuana" ; "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness" ; "Current treatment of addiction is unsatisfactory" --
3. The 1960s through the mid-1990s: amphetamines and barbiturates, the counterculture, LSD, Vietnam, the heroin epidemics, cocaine re-emerges, crack-cocaine, HIV/AIDS, harm reduction, sentencing disparities : "Better living through chemistry" ; "We really thought that drugs were going to change the world" ; "Crapping around will not be tolerated" ; "'Junky Johnny' comes marchin' home" ; "Like Dom Perignon and caviar" ; "We are fighting a disease, not people" ; "From the champagne of drugs to the beer of drugs" ; "He liked the prop. It drove the point home" ; "Heroin and cocaine infected thousands of drug-stunned addicts" ; "The experiment in mass incarceration" --
4. The mid-1990s to 2011: medical marijuana, black tar heroin, oxycontin, methamphetamine, the Mexican drug war, the war on drugs continues : "Any other illness for which marijuana provides relief" ; "Heroinville" ; "It's growing from within" ; "I felt my face just melting" ; "It's all rather irrelevant."
|Series Title:||Documentary and reference guides.|
|Responsibility:||James A. Swartz.|
"Rarely is a book as useful for advanced researchers as for undergraduates, but Substance Abuse in America is such a book... The well-written introduction concisely summarizes early laws;
- Substance abuse -- United States.
- Substance-Related Disorders.
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome.
- Substance abuse.
- United States.
User lists with this item (6)
- PSCN_19_Addiction, Treatment, Prevention(45 items)
by cbagby updated about 2 weeks ago
- Health Care Management(59 items)
by carrietannehill updated 2016-05-16
- Substance Abuse: Understanding the Aspect(13 items)
by aimeevaq8 updated 2015-04-03
- New Books Spring 2014(44 items)
by mbrowndorf updated 2014-08-27
- NEW Social Sciences ebooks @ GEN Library(241 items)
by genlibrary updated 2013-11-22