Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Orsi, Richard J.
Berkeley : University of California Press, ©2005
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Richard J Orsi
|Description:||xxii, 615 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Foundations: "These mountains look too ugly and I see too much work ahead": building the Southern Pacific Company, 1850/1930; Men of vision: Southern Pacific leaders, land, agriculture, and the development of California and the West --
Land settlement: "Stand on the rights of the Company and make a square fight of it": land-grant myths, conflicts with government, and squatterism; The Mussel Slough affair; A land of "well-tilled little farms": land-grant development; Promoting the far West: 1860s-1900s --
Water: "The satisfactory supply is yet undiscovered": the Southern Pacific as a pioneer water developer; "A great encouragement for others": private irrigation; "This splendid country is to be reclaimed": public irrigation; "The government is hard to deal with": federal reclamation --
Agriculture: "Evangel train": scientific agriculture; "The damndest railroading you ever heard of": marketing the produce of western farms --
Conservation: "Shall this destruction proceed?": wilderness preservation; "Putting our properties on the most conservative and scientific basis": resource conservation --
A note on Southern Pacific Company manuscript sources.
|Responsibility:||Richard J. Orsi.|
"Sunset Limited will undoubtedly assume a prominent and enduring place among the essential histories of ... the American West."--American Studies Journal
- Southern Pacific Railroad Company -- History.
- Southern Pacific Company -- History.
- Central Pacific Railroad Company -- History.
- Railroads -- California -- History.
- Water resources development -- West (U.S.)
- Land use -- West (U.S.) -- History.
- West (U.S.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century.
- West (U.S.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- West (U.S.) -- Environmental conditions -- History.
- Central Pacific Railroad Company.
- Southern Pacific Company.
- Southern Pacific Railroad Company.
- Economic history.
- Land use.
- Water resources development.
- United States, West.
- Wirtschaftliche Lage.
- USA -- Weststaaten.
- Southern Pacific Railroad.