Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Greer, S. C. (Steven C.)
Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1995
|All Authors / Contributors:||
S C Greer
|Description:||xiii, 309 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||Newspaper Sources for the Grimley, Gilmour, and Allen Trial Summaries --
1. Informers, Agents Provocateurs, and Supergrasses. Insiders and Outsiders. The Criminal Informer. The Political Informer --
2. The Origins of the Supergrass System: 1969-1982. The Construction of the Military Intelligence System: 1969-1975. The Institutionalization of the Diplock Process: 1972-1975. Police Primacy and the Refinement of Intelligence-Gathering: 1975-1979. The Reorganization of Intelligence-Gathering: 1979-1980. Inauspicious Beginnings: 1980-1982 --
3. Ascendancy: January-October 1983. The Bennett Case: R. v. Graham and others. The Black Case: R. v. Donnelly and others. The McGrady Case: R. v. Gibney and others --
4. Under a Cloud: November and December 1983. The Grimley Case: R. v. Connolly and others. The Morgan Case: R. v. Davison and others --
5. The Public Controversy: 1983-1984. The Official View. The Conspiracy Theory. The Civil Liberties Perspective --
6. Decline: 1984.
The publication of this book could hardly be more timely; Northern Ireland is once again at the top of the political agenda in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and recent developments have ensured that the Troubles are once again the focus of widespread international attention. The current mood of optimism provides an ideal opportunity for the lessons contained in this book to be properly learned and applied.