Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Louis I Jaffe|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Louis I Jaffe; Alben William Barkley; Stringfellow Barr; Charles B Borland; Lyman Beecher Brooks; G W C Brown; Lenoir Chambers; Colgate W Darden; Amelia Earhart; Charles O'Conor Goolrick; Bravid Washington Harris; Vivian L Page; Moss A Plunkett; George W Spicer; Abram Penn Staples; Joseph K Taussig; Robert H Tucker; Roy Wilkins; Plummer Bernard Young
|Other Titles:||Southern frontier.
The chief topic is the use by Norfolk Polytechnic College (later Virginia State College, Norfolk Division) of a vacated nurses home at the former St. Vincent's Hospital in a predominantly black section of Norfolk.
Also of interest are materials on the Southern Regional Council, including minutes of the executive committee and board meetings and copies of "The Southern frontier" and "The new South."
Topics also include suffrage reform, particularly in regard to the poll tax, World War II and the military build up in Norfolk and attendant problems, Virginia politics and the Byrd machine, Norfolk civic issues, public health and Judaism. Of unusual interest is a letter from Bravid W. Harris re: third world democracy and Liberia.
Other correspondents include Alben Barkley, Stringfellow Barr, Charles Borland, Lyman B. Brooks, G.W.C. Brown, Lenoir Chambers, Colgate Darden, Amelia Earhart, Charles O. Goolrick, Bravid W. Harris, Vivian L. Page, Moss Plunkett, George W. Spicer, Abram P. Staples, Robert H. Tucker, J.K. Taussig, Roy Wilkins and Plummer Bernard Young.
- Jaffe, Louis I. -- (Louis Isaac), -- 1888-1950.
- Virginia State College. -- Norfolk Division. -- Board of trustees.
- Norfolk Virginian-Pilot.
- Southern Regional Council.
- St. Vincent's Hospital (Norfolk, Va.)
- Virginia State College. -- Norfolk Division.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- African Americans -- Education (Higher)
- African Americans -- Medical care.
- African Americans -- Suffrage.
- Community health services -- Virginia -- Norfolk.
- Jews -- Public opinion.
- Bathing beaches -- Virginia -- Norfolk.
- Civic improvement -- Virginia -- Norfolk.
- Norfolk (Va.) -- History.
- Poll tax -- Virginia.
- Public health -- Virginia -- Norfolk.
- Suffrage -- Virginia.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- History.