Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Talbot Hamlin; Minard Lafever; Frank Lloyd Wright|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Talbot Hamlin; William Lee Woolet; John Summerson; William Gray Purcell; Hugh Morrison; Nikolaus Pevsner; Walter Muir Whitehill; Charles E Peterson; S Giedion; Milton Horn; McGill & Hamlin.; Murphy & Dana.; Murphy, McGill & Hamlin.
|Language Note:||Materials are in English.|
|Description:||9.1 linear feet of papers. 510 drawings. 2166 negatives. 1691 photographs. 160 postcards.|
Hamlin's career as a practicing architect was relatively brief and few architectural records from his professional practice survive. Series 4 contains drawings, files and specifications, and photographs of approximately eighty projects in United States and Asia. Projects particularly represented include Wayland Academy, Hangchow, China, 1919; Peking University, Peking, China, 1919-1922; and Ginling College, Nanking, China, 1919-1925.
Additionally, Hamlin traveled extensively and photographs that he took en route also form a significant portion of this collection. Series 5 contains photographic prints and negatives taken in many regions of the United States and in more than sixteen foreign countries. Most of the photographs record his visits to architectural sites, with a small group of images documenting his fondness for sailing during these trips. Of note in this series are images of the Paris Exposition, 1937; the San Francisco Fair, 1939; Frank Lloyd Wright's California houses, undated; colleges in China and Korea, 1922; and other scenes in China, Japan, and Honolulu, 1922.
Lastly, a small body of personal papers and student work, Series 6, completes the collection. It includes Hamlin's art and sketch books, private correspondence, fiction and poetry, personal and family photographs, student papers and drawings.
- Hamlin, Talbot, -- 1889-1956.
- Lafever, Minard.
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, -- 1867-1959.
- Architectural firms -- United States.
- Architecture -- History.
- Architecture -- United States.
- Architecture -- California.
- Architecture -- China.
- Architecture -- Japan.
- Architecture -- Korea.
- Architecture -- Philippines.
- Exhibitions -- France -- Paris.
- Exhibitions -- California -- San Francisco.
- Architecture -- Study and teaching.
- Architectural writing.
- Dwellings -- California.
- Universities and colleges -- China -- Beijing.
- Universities and colleges -- China -- Nanjing.
- Schools -- China -- Hangzhou Shi.
- Universities and colleges -- Korea.
- Honolulu (Hawaii) -- Pictorial works.
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Pictorial works.
- Paris (France) -- Pictorial works.
- Japan -- Pictorial works.
- China -- Pictorial works.
- Wayland Academy (Hang-chou shih, China)
- Beijing da xue.
- Peking University (Peking, China)
- Ginling College (Nanjing, Jiangsu Sheng, China)
- Columbia University. -- School of Architecture.