Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Hicks, Cheryl D., 1971-
Talk with you like a woman.
Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2010
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Cheryl D Hicks
|ISBN:||9780807882320 0807882321 9781469603759 1469603756|
|Description:||1 online resource (xiv, 372 p.) : ill., ports.|
|Contents:||To live a fuller and freer life : black women migrants' expectations and New York's urban realities, 1890-1927 --
The only one that would be interested in me : police brutality, black women's protection, and the New York Race Riot of 1900 --
I want to save these girls : single black women and their protectors, 1895-1911 --
Colored women of hard and vicious character : respectability, domesticity, and crime, 1893-1933 --
Tragedy of the colored girl in court : the National Urban League and New York's Women's Court, 1911-1931 --
In danger of becoming morally depraved : single black women, working-class black families, and New York State's Wayward Minor Laws, 1917-1928 --
A rather bright and good-looking colored girl : black women's sexuality, "harmful intimacy," and attempts to regulate desire, 1917-1928 --
I don't live on my sister, I living of myself : parole, gender, and black families, 1905-1935 --
She would be better off in the South : sending women on parole to their southern kin, 1920-1935 --
Conclusion: thank god I am independent one more time.
|Series Title:||Gender & American culture.|
|Responsibility:||Cheryl D. Hicks.|
"[Hicks] gives voice to women who have not been studied thus far. Recommended. Undergraduate and graduate studies." --"Choice"
- African American women -- Employment -- New York (State) -- New York.
- African American women -- New York (State) -- New York -- Social conditions -- History.
- Sex role -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 19th century.
- Women's rights -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 19th century.
- Racism -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 20th century.
- Social Science.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Women's Studies.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Ethnic Studies / African American Studies
- African American women -- Employment.
- African American women -- Social conditions.
- Sex role.
- Women's rights.
- New York (State) -- New York.