Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan.
College Station : Texas A & M University Press, ©1997
|関連の人物：||Theodore Roosevelt; Theodore Roosevelt; Theodore Roosevelt; Theodore Roosevelt; Theodore Roosevelt|
Peggy Samuels; Harold Samuels
|物理形態：||x, 374 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.|
|シリーズタイトル：||Texas A & M University military history series, 54.|
|責任者：||by Peggy Samuels and Harold Samuels.|
Their immediate target was the central sector of the fortified San Juan Heights. Capturing the blockhouse on San Juan Hill was key to breaching the Spanish defenses on the heights above the city of Santiago de Cuba. Roosevelt and his volunteer cavalry were positioned in the rear of two regular regiments on the right side of the arena. They faced the lower and thinly defended rise called Kettle Hill, rather than San Juan Hill.
The only American officer to remain mounted in the battle, Roosevelt initiated an unauthorized charge up Kettle Hill. While racing up the slope, he was forced to dismount and climb to the crest on foot. As his young volunteers fell in behind, Roosevelt reveled in his triumph. Afterward, in describing his self-perceived role to reporters, Roosevelt cast himself as the most promotable hero in the campaign and, thus, laid the foundation for his legend.
That legend, of Teddy Roosevelt valiantly leading the Rough Riders in their charge up San Juan Hill, had a great deal to do with making Roosevelt president and has endured for nearly a century. The reality as shown in this fast-paced narrative is that the charge Roosevelt led was foolhardy and occurred not on San Juan Hill but on the smaller and less important Kettle Hill.
Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan explains what Roosevelt did and why he did it. The authors tell the story in two separate but interwoven tracks.
"Few instances in military history have had such profound consequences as Teddy Roosevelt's charge at San Juan. Now, for the first time in over a generation, we have a grand narrative of that heroic
- Roosevelt, Theodore, -- 1858-1919 -- Military leadership.
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
- San Juan Hill, Battle of, Cuba, 1898.
- United States. -- Army. -- Volunteer Cavalry, 1st.
- Spanish-American War, 1898.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, -- 1858-1919.
- San Juan, Batalla de, 1898.
- Guerra hispano-americana, 1898.
- Roosevelt, Theodore.
- Höhen von San Juan -- Erstürmung.
- Presidents -- Biography -- United States
- Roosevelt, Theodore -- Military leadership
- San Juan Hill, Battle of, Cuba, 1898
- Spanish-American War, 1898
- United States / Army / Volunteer Cavalry, 1st
- Military leadership.
- United States.
- Erstürmung der Höhen von San Juan.