Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Paula Loyd; Clint Cooper; Don Ayala|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Vanessa M Gezari
|ISBN:||9781439177396 1439177392 9781439177419 1439177414|
|Description:||347 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Election day --
What you don't know will kill you --
The tender soldier --
The anthropology of us and them --
Hearts and minds --
Crime and punishment --
Good intentions --
The devil you don't know.
|Responsibility:||Vanessa M. Gezari.|
On the day Barack Obama was elected president in November 2008, a small group of American civilians took their optimism and experience to Afghanistan, then considered America's "good war." They were part of the Pentagon's controversial attempt to bring social science to the battlefield, a program called the Human Terrain System, driven by the notion that you can't win a war if you don't understand the enemy and his culture. Gezari follows this historic, little-known mission.
"Bravely reported and beautifully told, "The Tender Soldier "is a crushing story of good intentions and war. Vanessa Gezari is an unflinching journalist, and she has written a great, angering, and
- Afghan War, 2001- -- Campaigns -- Afghanistan -- De Maywand Kārīz.
- Loyd, Paula.
- United States. -- Army. -- Human Terrain System.
- Counterinsurgency -- Afghanistan -- De Maywand Kārīz.
- Applied anthropology -- Afghanistan.
- Anthropologists -- United States -- Biography.
- Cooper, Clint.
- Ayala, Don.
- Applied anthropology -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States.
- Social sciences -- Research -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States.