Stefan Collini; Donald Winch; J W Burrow
|ISBN:||052125762X 9780521257626 0521277701 9780521277709|
|描述：||x, 385 pages ; 24 cm|
|責任：||Stefan Collini, Donald Winch, John Burrow.|
"In this unusual and important work, three well-known historians of ideas examine the diverse forms taken in nineteenth-century Britain by the aspiration to develop what was then known as a 'science of politics'. This aspiration encompassed a more extensive and ambitious range of concerns than is implied by the modern term 'political science': in fact, as this book demonstrates, it remained the overarching category under which many nineteenth-century thinkers grouped their attempts to achieve systematic understanding of man's common life. As a result of both the over-concentration on closed abstract systems of thought and the intrusion of concerns which pervade much writing in the history of political theory and of the social sciences, these attempts have since been neglected or misrepresented. By deliberately avoiding such approaches, this book restores the subject to its centrality in the intellectual life and political culture of nineteenth-century Britain"--Publisher description.
- Political science -- History -- 19th century.
- Politieke situatie.
- Science politique -- Grande Bretagne -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Science politique -- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1800-1837.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1837-1901.
- Political science.
- Politische Theorie.
- Great Britain -- Political science, 1800-1900
- Politics -- history.