Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Account books, Personal
|Named Person:||Charles David Carter; Carter family.; Loughborough family.; John S Marsh; Thomas Montgomery|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Theodore George Carter; Egbert Pomeroy Carter; Margaret Byam Carter; Miles Carter; Nathan Samuel Carter; Norman K Culver; E E Edwards; John Ames Humphrey; John McQuaide; William Rainey Marshall
|Description:||4.5 cu. ft. (7 boxes, incl. 96 v.; 1 v. shelved loose).|
There is information on his work as a land examiner for the Winona and St. Peter Railroad Co. (1858-1860s); as clerk in the private bank of Edgerton and Donahower (1861-1867); as partner with Thomas Montgomery in a real estate and fire insurance firm (1867-1880); surveying and purchasing land throughout the upper Midwest as right-of-way agent for the Chicago and North Western Railroad Co. (1880s); and as a mining and real estate agent in Deadwood, S. Dak. (1891-1905).
Personal correspondence covers family, friendships, and genealogy; his service with the 7th Minnesota Infantry, Company K, during the 1862 Dakota Conflict and the Civil War; and his membership in several fraternal organizations. Also documented are his nursery business (1870s), and his efforts to collect materials for a history of Company K and to aid its veterans in obtaining bounties and pensions.
There is a carpenter's account book (1834-1841) and justice of the peace dockets (1837-1843) of his father, Miles, in Yorkshire County, N.Y.; and record books of the Sons of Temperance, St. Peter Division (1876-1883) and the South Dakota Society of the Sons of the American Revolution (1899-1906).
- Carter, Charles David, -- 1868-1929.
- Carter family.
- Loughborough family.
- Marsh, John S., -- ca. 1832-1862.
- Montgomery, Thomas, -- 1841-1907.
- Burke Stone Company (Hot Springs, S.D.).
- Carter and Montgomery (Saint Peter, Minn.).
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company.
- Edgerton and Donahower (Saint Peter, Minn.).
- Elkhorn Mining Company (Deadwood, Minn.).
- Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad.
- Grand Army of the Republic. -- Post No. 37 (Saint Peter, Minn.).
- Oro Hondo Mining Company (S.D.).
- Sons of Temperance of North America. -- Saint Peter Division, No. 2 (Saint Peter, Minn.).
- Sons of the American Revolution. -- South Dakota Society.
- United States. -- Army -- Pay, allowances, etc.
- United States. -- Army. -- Minnesota Infantry Regiment, 7th (1862-1865). -- Company K.
- United States. -- General Land Office (Saint Peter, Minn.).
- Winona and St. Peter Railroad Company.
- Banks and banking -- Minnesota.
- Carpentry -- Accounting.
- Dakota Indians -- Wars, 1862-1865.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Minnesota.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- South Dakota.
- Horticulture -- Minnesota.
- Justices of the peace -- New York -- Yorkshire.
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer.
- Mines and mining -- South Dakota.
- Military pensions -- United States.
- Railroads -- Surveying.
- Real estate business -- Minnesota -- Saint Peter.
- Real property -- Florida.
- Surveying -- Middle West.
- Temperance -- Societies, etc.
- Tupelo, Battle of, Tupelo, Miss., 1864
- Deadwood (S.D.) -- Social life and customs.
- Florida -- Description and travel.
- Fort Ridgely (Minn.)
- Saint Peter (Minn.) -- Social life and customs.
- South Dakota -- Description and travel.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives.
- Yorkshire County (N.Y.) -- Statistics, Vital.