|ISBN:||0300066880 9780300066883 0300074484 9780300074482|
|描述：||xii, 692 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. Simple esquire: 1489-1503 --
2. Cambridge years: 1503-29 --
3. Campaign to end a marriage: 1527-33 --
4. The reign of Queen Anne: 1533-6 --
5. From Anne Boleyn to Thomas Cromwell: 1535-7 --
6. A 'Reformed' Church? 1535-9 --
7. Salvaging the cause: 1539-42 --
8. A problem of survival: 1542-6 --
9. Welcoming King Josiah: 1546-9 --
10. 1549: Commotion in Church and commonwealth --
11. Building a Protestant Church: 1550-52 --
12. Paradise betrayed: 1552-3 --
13. Condemned: 1553-6 --
14. Aftermath and retrospect --
Appendix I: Was Stephen Nevinson Cranmer's anonymous biographer? --
Appendix II: The date of Henry VIII's marriage to Anne Boleyn --
Appendix III: University connections among close relatives, servants and households of Thomas Cranmer and Stephen Gardiner.
early Tudor Cambridge, into the household of the family of Anne Boleyn, and through the political labyrinth of the Henrician court. By then a major English statesman, living the life of a medieval prince-bishop, Cranmer navigated the church through the king's vacillations and finalized two successive English Prayer Books. MacCulloch skillfully reconstruction the crises which Cranmer negotiated, from his compromising association with three of Henry's divorces, the plot by.
religious conservatives to oust him, his role in the attempt to establish Lady Jane Grey as Queen, to the vengeance of the Catholic Mary Tudor. In gaol after Mary's accession, Cranmer nearly succumbed to recant his life's achievements, but was able to turn the very day of his death at the stake into a dramatic demonstration of his Protestant faith. From this vivid and fascinating account Cranmer emerges a more sharply-focused figure than before, more conservative early.
in his career than admirers have allowed, more evangelical than Anglicanism would later find comfortable.
- Cranmer, Thomas, -- 1489-1556.
- Great Britain -- History -- Tudors, 1485-1603 -- Biography.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1509-1547.
- Great Britain -- Church history -- 16th century.
- Statesmen -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Theologians -- England -- Biography.
- Bishops -- England -- Biography.
- Anglican churches -- Clergy