Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||H Buxton Forman; Edmund Gosse; William Michael Rossetti; Algernon Charles Swinburne; George Charles Williamson; H Buxton Forman; Edmund Gosse; William Michael Rossetti; Algernon Charles Swinburne; George Charles Williamson|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Thomas James Wise; R W Chapman
|Description:||.20 linear ft. (1 half-size archival box)|
The bulk of the correspondence consists of 29 letters of Wise sent to R.W. Chapman at Clarendon Press at Oxford, dating between 1923 and 1932. The letters primarily discuss the publishing of several of Wise's catalogues and bibliographie including a CATALOGUE OF PRINTED BOOKS MANUSCRIPTS AND AUTOGRAPH LETTERS, for the Ashley Library, A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE WRITINGS IN PROSE AND VERSE OF ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, and a SWINBURN LIBRARY. Of particular interest is Wise's recurrent mentioning of his acquisition of certain pamphlets and "older" or "variant editions" of authors' works which he offers to Chapman and others for examination. In several letters, Wise makes reference to the book collector George Charles Williamson, who became one of the biggest collectors of the Wise-Forman forgeries. Williamson had urged Chapman to write the introduction to Wise's CATALOGUE. Wise also occasionally mentions his forgery partner H. Buxton Forman.
Other correspondence includes a letter to Edmund Gosse with suggestions regarding an introduction to a bibliography, with Gosse's autograph response on the verso; and a letter from Gosse dated Dec. 22, 1913, about a 'revise' of "Gold Horns." Wise received letters from scholars asking about his work, and included here is a letter of thanks to a Mr. Alwin J. Schener, telling him that he is preparing a catalogue on Dryden, which is to be followed by another on Pope. Finally there are two letters to William Michael Rossetti, one of which is about the Thackeray Society of which Wise was the Secretary.
- Forman, H. Buxton -- (Harry Buxton), -- 1842-1917 -- Forgeries.
- Gosse, Edmund, -- 1849-1928 -- Correspondence.
- Rossetti, William Michael, -- 1829-1919 -- Correspondence.
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, -- 1837-1909 -- Bibliography.
- Williamson, George Charles, -- 1858-1942.
- Forgery -- Great Britain -- History -- Sources.
- Forgers -- England -- Correspondence -- History -- 20th century.
- Forgery in literature -- History -- Sources.
- Literature -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.
- Forman, H. Buxton -- (Harry Buxton), -- 1842-1917.
- Gosse, Edmund, -- 1849-1928.
- Rossetti, William Michael, -- 1829-1919.
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, -- 1837-1909.
- Forgery in literature.
- Great Britain.