Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
|Named Person:||Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr.|
|Notes:||Occupation: genealogical research specialist
Born: 1941, West Sacramento, CA, United States
Education: Student, Utah Tech. College, 1971
Education: BS in Econs., University Utah, 1979
Education: Postgrad., University Utah, 1985
Career: Mgr., owner, Tinney GenSearch Consultant, 1971—
Career: Housing project manager, Missoula, Montana, 1981-84
Career: Housing project manager, Fort Douglas, Utah, 1981-84
Career: Lic. insurance agent, 1980-82
Career: Staff engineer, Anthony B. Cassedy & Associates, Ridgefield, Connecticut, 1980
Career: Clk., carrier, U.S. Postal Service, 1961-69, 80-81
Religion: Member LDS Church
WorldCat User Reviews (1)
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr.
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr.
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr. (born 1941) is a 21st century specialist in genealogical research,
who focuses primarily on worldwide...
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr.
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr. (born 1941) is a 21st century specialist in genealogical research,
who focuses primarily on worldwide collective genealogy and family history. He has been
recognized in both editions of Who's Who in Genealogy & Heraldry, Marquis Who's Who in
the West (1998 - 1999), and Who's Who in America, (2000 through 2004). His research papers
are deposited with the Joseph Smith Jr. Collection at the University of Utah Marriott Library
and Thomas Milton Tinney Papers, at the Utah State Historical Society. He moved to Utah
as a teenager and began a personal evaluation of all record sources, investigating and
memorizing published and microform locations, thereby studying every available history,
family history, and genealogy collection at the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints. He has lived in Colorado, Texas and California, with travel and research
evaluation done in every state of the contiguous United States; research elsewhere worldwide
and visits to Canada and Mexico. Tinney, Sr. has studied the Melvyl® system since acquiring
an executed License Agreement with the Regents of the University of California, 02 March 1992.
He has also maintained a listing of family history and genealogy articles, as well as written
about intelligent design, and published online, Theology & Science: The Bible Is Scientific.
Thomas Milton Tinney was encouraged by his mother Hazel to search after his family
ancestry at an early age. Charles E. Rowan, Jr., a Patriarch of the Provo Stake of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, mentioned (#251) on June 23, 1957,
at Provo, Utah, that: "There is a great responsibility resting upon you in seeking out
the genealogy of your people. I confer upon you the Spirit of Elijah and promise you
that if you are true and faithful, if you search diligently, that the Lord will bless you
and you will be able to seek out the names of many of your ancestors." This was
followed by assignments to various LDS Stake and Ward positions, including
executive secretary and ward clerk responsibilities. Authority to function in
these callings came from prior ordinations to the offices of Deacon, Teacher,
and Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood, as well as the ordination to the office
of Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood, on October 8, 1961, by Riverside Stake
President Robert Leatham Bridge.
As noted in the 2004 edition of Who'sWho in America, Volume 2, L-Z, page 5214,
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr. resides with his wife Vicki Rae Chris (Baker) Tinney,
(a daughter of Victor Ray Baker and Winona Hannah Quibell); they had posterity.
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr., previously married 29 Jul 1971 ,
Las Vegas, Clark, Nevada, (& later divorced by) Kim Barrett,
(daughter of Bruce Arnie Barrett, Jr., deceased and Eunice Mortenson); they had posterity.
Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr., previously married February 10, 1961, 575 W 300 S, Provo, Utah, Utah,
at the home of Frederick Charles Foxon, (& later divorced 05 May 1971, by), Sheila Mary Foxon,
(daughter of Frederick Charles Foxon & Olive Ada Annie Reader ); they had posterity.
Tinney, Sr. was Student, Utah Technical College at Provo (now Utah Valley University),
1968-71; BS in Economics, University of Utah, 1979, Postgraduate, 1979-85; Clerk, Carrier
U.S. Postal Service, 1961-1969, 80-81; Staff Engineer, Anthony B. Cassedy & Associates,
Ridgefield, CT, 1980; Licensed Insurance Agent, State of Colorado, 1980-82;
Housing Project Manager, Fort Douglas, UT, and Missoula, MT, 1981-84; Manager,
Owner Tinney GenSearch Consultants, from 1971. Served with Utah National Guard
and Army Reserve. Member - Office Holder Sons of the American Revolution, and lifetime
UCD California Aggie Alumni Association sustaining member. Current member of
Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento and Davis Genealogy Club. Avocations:
Matching scholarly record sources with Mormon (LDS) family history library systems,
classical music, bicycling, and swimming. Additional extensive family information
recorded within various issues of the Tinney - Green(e) Family Organization Newsletter.
WORKS and PUBLICATIONS
* Alphabetic History of Civilization: Ancient and Modern Genealogies Online Edition.
This book evaluates historical knowledge as it relates to ancient and modern genealogies.
Information gleaned from social contexts, both secular and religious, are reviewed, using
modern genealogical research specialist standards: to properly reconstruct and correctly
portray real historical lives and family pedigrees. Cultural, religious and family tradition,
(their stated facts and viewpoints), are surveyed within given ancient contexts of primary
and secondary record sources, as handed down for the benefit of our modern generation.
Modern claims of genealogical attachment to biblical records are noted, with remarks.
-- The Book (Stick) of Judah Online Edition.
-- The Book (Stick) of Levi Online Edition.
-- The Book (Stick) of Nathan Online Edition.
* Ancient and Modern Genealogies with Temple (Church of Jesus Christ of LDS) Records.
* Biblical Genealogies - "God" is All Knowing: Evolution and Big Bang Atheism Online Edition.
* Convince Me That Genealogy Is A Science Online Edition.
* Family Genealogy & History Internet Education Directory - Wiki Online Edition. [also Facebook]
* Fanny Alger: The First Plura l Wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. A Preliminary Genealogical Report
- WorldCat ® Abstract: Photocopy of Thomas Tinney's genealogical report on the family
of Fanny Alger, including an extensive bibliography of secondary resources used for
Tinney's research. He is particularly critical of negative articles on Joseph Smith's
plural wives by Fawn M. Brodie. The report includes an examination of the differences
between legal wives and "spiritual" wives, including posthumous marriages. Also includes
brief biographies of Samuel and Clarissa Hancock Alger and Clarissa Alger Whitney.
* Genetics and Genealogy
Intelligent Design and references to the true origin of Man.
* Intelligent Design and the Fallacy of Annihilation Online Edition.
* JESUS CHRIST: His Historical Validity & Gospel Chronology Online Edition.
* LDS Ensign and New Era Magazines Online Edition.
Listing of family history and genealogy articles, or content, from A.D. 1971 to current issue.
Official Publications of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon).
* Melvyl® System - University of California. Worldwide Genealogy & Family History Research Online Edition.
- Browse Locality Consolidation: Current & Miscellaneous Online Edition .
- "Genealog*" Search: Keyword: Current & Miscellaneous Online Edition.
* State - National Budgets: Professional Researchers - Record Credibility Online Edition.
* The LORD Jesus Christ, Jews, The House of Joseph, Gentiles and Heathens Online Edition.
A Careful Study of the TINNEY Family Surname from Worldwide Origins.
* The Royal Family of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Junior,
First President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* The Teney, Tenney, Tenneyson, Tennison,
Tiney, Tinn, Tinne, Tinney, Tinneyson, Tinning,
Ti nnison, Tinny (and some variations) Family Record Key,
by Thomas Milton Tinney.
* Theory of Evolution Is Death In Ignorance Online Edition.
* THESES & DISSERTATIONS: "family history" & "genealog*" - Worldwide in Scope Online Edition.
* Tinney, Thomas M. "Michael H. Chandler and the Pearl of Great Price: 1986 Update."
Genealogical Journal. Utah Genealogical Association
15 (Fall 1986): 128-61.
__________. "Michael H. Chandler and the Pearl of Great Price Update."
The Report. Ohio Genealogical Society 27 (Fall 1987): 132-40.
* What's New in Genealogy & Family History Resources? Online Edition .
* Where Is The World's Largest Family History & Genealogy Library Located? Online Edition.
REFERENCES and NOTES: Preliminary Alphabetical Listing
* Alex Shoumatoff, A Reporter At Large: "THE MOUNTAIN OF NAMES,"
The New Yorker, May 13, 1985, p. 51 -
_______________, DISPATCHES FROM THE VANISHING WORLD:
Reporter at Large, The Mountain of Names. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
_______________, (1985) (in en-us). The Mountain of Names:
A History of the Human Family. New York: Simon and Schuster. pp. 318.
* American Genealogists by Source Wikipedia; LLC Books (Paperback)
Chapters: . . . Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr., . . .
* Bible: Tanakh, Old Testament, Books of the Bible, Bible Story, Shittah-Tree, Manna, Peor
Ethics in the Bible, Bible Prophecy: Tanakh, Old Testament, ...
consistency of the Bible, Biblical canon;
Ethics in the Bible, Bible prophecy, Poor Man's Bible (9781157591337):
Source: Wikipedia: Books.
* Board for Certification of Genealogists
CGRS-325 TINNEY, Mr. Thomas Milton, 26 Feb 1978-88;
A1, A5, B1, B8 (LDS Church records), C2-6, C10, D1-7
* [Letter, dated March 6, 1992 to Thomas Milton Tinney, Sr. . . . Enclosed you will find
an executed License Agreement covering the use of MELVYL® system screens in your
proposed publication. Please let me know if I can be of further service.
Sincerely, Signed by Carol Connolly, Office of the Director,
Office of the President, David Pierpont Gardner
President, University of California Letterhead.]
* [Letter of Appreciation, dated 28 June 1984 to Mr. Thomas M. Tinney,
Housing Project Manager, USASD-SL, Fort Douglas, UT 84113:
1. Upon my departure from this command I wish to express my appreciation
for the outstanding manner in which you have contributed to the quality of life
of all those working and living at Fort Douglas.
2. You have continually supported our soldiers, active and reserve alike,
with a cheerful and helpful attitude. As our reserve support requirements
grow I urge your continued support of that vital mission.
3. It has been a pleasure working with you on our super Fort Douglas team,
and I look forward to seeing you again upon my return to Utah.
Signed by Ronald B. Stevens, Colonel, FA, Commanding]
* Marquis Who's Who Listing:
Marquis Who's Who On Demand for Thomas Milton Tinney Retrieved 2011-08-29.
* Musings on Research Objectives: Family History - Genealogy - Internet - Library Collections
[I was once employed by J. Grant Stevenson, AG, author of "The Life of Edward Stevenson"
(M.A. thesis, Brigham Young University, 1955), and member of the BYU faculty from 1964,
until 1990 retirement. He taught genealogy and family history and ran a local business,
Stevenson Genealogy & Copy Center.
To Whom It May Concern, dated 30 October 1971: "I am very pleased to recommend
Thomas Milton Tinney, who has been in my employ as a genealogical researcher
from 6 May 1971 to 29 October 1971. I have found Thomas to be a very hard worker.
In my experience of 20 years of research, I have never had anyone whom I would
consider superior to him in capabilities of handling research projects, filing, analysis,
and other related activities. . . ." Sincerely yours, Signed by J. Grant Stevenson]
* Research Notes:
1. Kip Sperry, Professor of family history, Church History and Doctrine,
Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, has included www.academic-genealogy.com
in his list of favorite sites. It is also included in Genealogy Resources, A Subject Tracer™
Information Blog developed and created by Internet expert, author, keynote speaker
and consultant Marcus P. Zillman, M.S., A.M.H.A. for monitoring genealogy resources
and sites on the Internet.
2. Family Genealogy and History Internet Education Directory - Wiki is included
in the world's largest family history library online reference site, in
Directories of Genealogical Websites. There are currently (retrieved 2011-09-03)
over 25,000 links to this resource, noted by the Yahoo! Site Explorer. It is presented
in other library and related locations worldwide, such as BYU Portals. The book,
Crash Course in Family History, Fourth Edition, by Paul Larsen, page 173, lists
www.academic-genealogy.com, under Best Web Directories/Portals - Free
Selected Internet Research Sites | Family History | HBLL, and noted
in the East Chicago History Room presentation.
* The Joseph Smith Jr. Collection
* The Mormon Mummies and Papyri in Ohio by H. Donl Peterson
1. Thomas Milton Tinney, Michael H. Chandler and the Pearl of Great Price
(Part I, II, and III, Salt Lake City 1975, 1976).
Thomas Tinney was the researcher who located Michael H. Chandler
in the State of Ohio and pieced together much of his life's story through
excellent and meticulous genealogical research. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
* The Thomas Milton Tinney Papers, 1941-
* [University of Utah Placement and Career Information Center,
Confidential Recommendation for Thomas Milton Tinney, (Sr.),
13 Dec 1978: I have known Mr. Tinney for about five to six years.
I have been close to him and his family throughout that time and I
feel that I know him very well. I can recommend him as a conscientious,
very hard working person. He is dedicated to the cause he serves and will
give his all to that cause. He is a man of honesty and integrity. I also know
him to be an intelligent man with the ability to express himself well. He is
a man of perseverance, seeking after and working for his objectives until he
reaches them regardless of the odds. I am pleased to write this recommendation
for Thomas Milton Tinney, (Sr.). I recommend him to be a fine employee for any
future employer. Name: Bishop Richard D. Shea - Organization: Bountiful 33rd Ward,
LDS Church - Signature: Richard D. Shea]
* Who's Who In Genealogy & Heraldry, Vol. 1.
* Who's Who In Genealogy & Heraldry, Second Edition
EXTERNAL LINKS: Extended Links
- Was this review helpful to you?
All user tags (8)
- 1 items are tagged withautobiograhpy
- 1 items are tagged withautobiography
- 1 items are tagged withbiography
- 1 items are tagged withcomputer network resources
- 3 items are tagged withfamily genealogy and history internet education directory - wiki
- 1 items are tagged withfamily history
- 1 items are tagged withgenealogist
- 1 items are tagged withgenealogy