Vivien Hailstone; Kathy Wallace; Darlene Marshall; Ollie Foseide; Lynn Risling; United States. Forest Service. Pacific Southwest Region.; California Arts Council.; Shenandoah Film Productions.; Local Indians for Education, Inc., Shasta Lake City, Calif.
|制作人员：||Produced by Vivien Hailstone ; associate producers, Kathy Wallace, Darlene Marshall ; script/poem by Darlene Marshall ; script/narration by Kathy Wallace and Darlene Marshall.|
|演员：||Singers: Ollie Foseide, Lynn Risling, Vivien Hailstone.|
|描述：||1 videocassette (20 min.) : sound, color ; 1/2 in.|
|其他题名：||Through the eyes of a Basket Weaver.|
Documents Vivien Hailstone's life as a basketweaver and California Native American of the Karok, Hupa and Yurok tribes. Shows her attempts to restore and preserve Native American culture and heritage through the skills of basket making. She recalls painful memories of growing up trying to conform to a white man's view of the world, a view that saw Indian ways as bad. Discusses the negative influence of the government run boarding schools they were required to attend in the late 30's & 40's on the Hoopa Reservation. Also includes methods of collecting materials used for basketweaving and the people who influenced her life as a basketweaver, such as her great-grandmother Jane Young.
- Hailstone, Vivien -- (Vivien Risling), -- 1913-2000.
- Indians of North America -- California -- Biography.
- Indian women artists -- California -- Biography.
- Karok Indians -- Social life and customs.
- Yurok Indians -- Social life and customs.
- Hupa Indians -- Social life and customs.
- Basket making -- California -- History.
- Women basket makers -- California -- Biography.