Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Mary, Queen of Scots; Elizabeth, Queen of England|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Mary, Queen of Scots; Elizabeth, Queen of England; Francis, King of France; James Stewart Moray, Earl of; Patrick Ruthven Ruthven, Lord; William Maitland; Nicholas Throckmorton, Sir; Thomas Howard Norfolk, Duke of; Margaret Douglass Lennox, Countess of; William Cecil Burghley, Baron; Robert Bruce, Sir; British Library.
|Language Note:||In English, with one letter in French.|
|Notes:||Transcripts, probably from the 18th century, of original 16th century ms. letters from the library of Sir Robert Bruce Cotton. Cf. Catalogue of the manuscripts in the Cottonian Library 1696 / Thomas Smith. [Cambridge, England] : D.S. Brewer, 1984, Caligula B. IX and Caligula C. I, p. 35 (orig. pag.).
For additional information, consult the Special Collections Info File.
|Description:||10 items (69 p.) ; 33 cm. or smaller.|
An accord between France and Scotland is signed by the French king, François II, and his wife, Mary Queen of Scots, and Scottish nobles Ruthven, Stewart, and Maitland. Included are a list of the Scottish lords of the Parliament held in Scotland in August 1560, and a list of political events from 1564-1565 concerning Mary Queen of Scots, with annotations by Lord Burghley, secretary of the Privy Council; four letters, dated July 19-Aug. 22, 1567, to Elizabeth from her envoy Nicholas Throckmorton in Edinburgh; and a letter, dated Jan. 9, 1568, signed by six Scottish nobles, protesting Mary's detention by the English government, and the seizure by the English of the castles at Edinburgh and Stirling. There are also a letter of Sept. 24, 1569 to Elizabeth from the duke of Norfolk, affirming his loyalty to her; and finally, a letter to Lord Burghley from Margaret Lennox, written some time after the death in 1570 of James Stewart, regent of Scotland, in which she expresses her fears for the safety of Mary's son, later James VI.
- Mary, -- Queen of Scots, -- 1542-1587.
- Elizabeth -- I, -- Queen of England, -- 1533-1603.
- Scotland -- History -- Mary Stuart, 1542-1587 -- Sources.
- Scotland -- History -- James VI, 1567-1625 -- Sources.
- Scotland -- Politics and government -- 16th century -- Sources.
- Scotland -- Foreign relations -- France -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
- France -- Foreign relations -- Scotland -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
- Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603 -- Sources.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1588-1603 -- Sources.
- Manuscripts, English -- England -- London.
- Manuscripts, French -- England -- London.