Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Early works to 1800
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Kalm, Pehr, 1716-1779.
Travels into North America.
London : The editor, 1770-71
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Pehr Kalm; Johann Reinhold Forster; William Eyres; Pre-1801 Imprint Collection (Library of Congress)
|Language Note:||Translation of: Resa til Norra America. Based on the German translation by Johann Philipp and Johann Andreas Murray: "The present volume of Professor Kalm's travels though North America, is originally written in the Swedish language, but was immediately afterward translated into the German by the two Murray's, both of whom are Swedes, and one a pupil of Dr. Linnæus, and therefore we may be sure that this translation corresponds exactly with the original."--Preface, v. 1, page [iii].|
|Notes:||This translation omits a great number of details, as well as the author's account of his stay in England, which fills most of the first volume of the original edition. Kalm's travels took him to Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Quebec. The plates, all unsigned, contain depictions of American birds and animals not found in the original edition (raccoon, skunk, flying squirrel, chipmunk, grackle, red-winged blackbird, passenger pigeon, mockingbird, and American robin) as well as a view of Cohoes Falls copied from the original plate.
The map, not issued with the first copies, is sometimes missing.
List of subscribers: v. 2, half sheet signed '[A]' (8 unnumbered and uncounted pages) inserted following the title leaf.
Collation: 8vo: v.1. a⁸ A-2B⁸ [$4 signed]; 208 leaves, pages [i-iii] iv [v] vi-xvi,  2-400 + 2 plates (Pl. 2, facing page 273, and Pl. 1, facing page 322), folded map -- v.2. A⁸(A1 + [chi]A⁴) B-Y⁸ [$4 (-A([chi]A2,3,4,) signed; signature of A([chi]A1) in square brackets]; 180 leaves, pages [1-2] [8 unnumbered]  4-317  319-348  350-352 + 4 plates (facing pages 79, 82, 90, 275) -- v.3. a⁴ A-U⁸ X² [$4 (-a3,4, F4, X2) signed]; 166 leaves, pages [i-iii] iv-viii,  2-310 [14 unnumbered].
|Description:||3 volumes,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, map (engravings) ; 22 cm (8vo)|
|Other Titles:||Resa til Norra America.|
|Responsibility:||By Peter Kalm, professor of oeconomy in the University of Aobo in Swedish Finland, and member of the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences. Translated into English by John Reinhold Forster, F.A.S. Enriched with a map, several cuts for the illustration of natural history, and some additional notes..|
- Natural history -- United States.
- Natural history -- Canada.
- Scientific expeditions.
- Natural history -- United States -- Pre-Linnean works.
- Natural history -- Canada -- Pre-Linnean works.
- Scientific expeditions -- Early works to 1800.
- Pennsylvania -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- New Jersey -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- New York (State) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Québec (Province) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Canada -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Sciences naturelles -- Etats-Unis.
- Sciences naturelles -- Canada.
- États-Unis -- Descriptions et voyages -- Ouvrages avant 1800.
- Nouvelle-France -- Descriptions et voyages -- Ouvrages avant 1800.
- Natural history.
- New Jersey.
- New York (State)
- United States.